Mysterius wires - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 17, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Mysterius wires

Hi everyone,
On my 67 vert with new AAW harness ordered for RS package, front disc brakes, console with guages, 4 speed and 327cu in I have two wires I cannot figure where they go.
There are coming from harness that exits fuse box right behind and below brake booster on the engine side of firewall along with the tan wire that goes to the brake equalizer. They are a light blue and a brown wire terminating in a T shaped push on connector and are just a bit longer than the tan wire. The two wires also have a grommet the size of a fifty cent piece about half way down the length.
It actually looks like it is meant to reenter the firewall back into the dash area but I can't see them doing that, but why the grommet.
Any ideas folks?
PS everything is wired and/or accounted for in the wiring harness

Steve

67 Camaro RS350SS (already restored) 68Convertible(future project)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 Coupe(restoring)On hold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gave to friend.

67 Convertible (restoring)

67 Coupe(parts car for now)

72 Chevelle Malibu

2-69 Jaguar xke roadsters (appeasing the wife)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 17, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Mysterius wires

Are they separate wires, or together?
Each wire has a T-connector?
You disconnect battery and measure ohms to ground?
You measured voltage with IGN key in what position?

My guess is tan is BRAKE light wire to equalizer under master cylinder?
Blue wire for _________?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 17, 06:14 AM
Senior Tech
jerry

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 17, 07:01 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

I don't know if I understand your description that well, How long is the wire run, and how far along is the grommet?
I assume your car is factory RS and you are not in the middle of a conversion to RS. So If an original factory RS, then this is the headlamp doors "control signaling circuit" light blue and brown wires to the original style relay/limit switch board.

In the diagram below the control circuit wires exit the firewall together, and that is where the grommet is used on the firewall. The routing out to the boards taped to the bulkhead connector looms, shows on the 1967 AIM page 428 that they exit the firewall next to the bulkhead connector. I can't locate my copy of the 67's firewall piercing map for the exact hole but think it is the same one used for vacuum hoses for the 68-69 headlights. I'm not real familiar with 1967 electric headlight boards only looked at them, never played with them.

I have attached the extract of pages 10-11 and 12 from the 67 68 69 RS wiring manual which deal with 1967 wiring and troubleshooting, and a blow up of the wiring diagram, and a copy of the the page in the AIM but look at your paper copy for better details.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevy Camaro - 1967 headlight door circuit diagram.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	189073   Click image for larger version

Name:	1967 AIM page 428 Z22 B8 RS Headlight Door wire routing.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	189081  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1967 page 10-12 Extraction from 67 68 69 RS Wiring Diagrams and headlights.pdf (619.3 KB, 6 views)

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 17, 07:12 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Found the 67 firewall map photo. Hole number 1, left and slightly above the top of the taped up bulkhead connector in this photo, is the RS Headlight Door control circuit hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Firewall 1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	189082  

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 17, 08:45 AM
Probationer
DonnyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewebb1 View Post
Hi everyone,
On my 67 vert with new AAW harness ordered for RS package, front disc brakes, console with guages, 4 speed and 327cu in I have two wires I cannot figure where they go.
There are coming from harness that exits fuse box right behind and below brake booster on the engine side of firewall along with the tan wire that goes to the brake equalizer. They are a light blue and a brown wire terminating in a T shaped push on connector and are just a bit longer than the tan wire. The two wires also have a grommet the size of a fifty cent piece about half way down the length.
It actually looks like it is meant to reenter the firewall back into the dash area but I can't see them doing that, but why the grommet.
Any ideas folks?
PS everything is wired and/or accounted for in the wiring harness

Steve

Steve, w
hat Jerry told you is spot-on! You need to order the CA71830 RS diode harness from AAW. It goes in series between the dimmer switch, ignition switch and that 2-way connection.

Donny
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 17, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Jerry nailed it. I was puzzled by the grommet but it all makes sense now.
It is a conversion. When I ordered the wiring harness years ago, I ordered it with the RS stock wiring but have since used Retro-Electro on my RS/SS and liked the simplicity of their hook-up so I"ll use them again. No need for the relays or diodes to rely on.
Thanks for all the input and the diagrams and photo was handy too.

Steve

67 Camaro RS350SS (already restored) 68Convertible(future project)

68 Coupe(restoring)On hold
Gave to friend.

67 Convertible (restoring)

67 Coupe(parts car for now)

72 Chevelle Malibu

2-69 Jaguar xke roadsters (appeasing the wife)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode