wiper motor grommet tab - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 05, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

Does anyone have a good picture of a installed wiper motor. Its held on with 3 rubber grommets. My problem is that one of these has a metal tab that extends off of it. I dont know which of the three holes that this one goes in. Also, What is the metal tab used for. It looks to be some sort of ground or something. I cant find where it hooks to in my books. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 05, 03:27 AM
Kevin

On a 69 it is upper middle bolt. The tab is sandwiched between the plates that make up the wiper motor base (folded rivets). The tab fits on the top of the rubber grommet and a metal sleeve fits over top of that. screw then go into sleeve. ground travels from cowl to screw to sleeve to tab.

If your tab is not there, Ricks sells a wiper grommet kit that includes the tab. you have to carefully bend the rivet tabs back to seperate the plates a little and fit the ground tab over the rivet closest to the grommet. make sure the insides of the plates are NOT painted where the tab is sandwiched (kinda defeats the purpose [img]smile.gif[/img] )

This r&r is not too hard, just tedious. You have to take motor off and then it is a good time to clean and detail the motor and pump.

Have fun!

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 05, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

Do you know of any pictures of how this goes together?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 05, 04:30 PM

ditto but on a 68
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 05, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

I havent been too successful in finding a good picture yet but Im going to a huge car show in a week or so and taking my own pics of this thing. I'll email you a few when we get back.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 05, 04:05 AM

I've got some good pictures of a 67 that might help jackalope. Problem is I am not sure how to post em so I'd have to e-mail em. Let me know if I can help.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 05, 04:20 AM
Kevin

Oops, I fogot about this thread. I have many 69 wiper motors, I will pull one out for a pic tonight (if I remember [img]smile.gif[/img] )

Kevin

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 05, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

any pics you guys can send would be great. [email protected]
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 05, 12:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I took a close up yesterday, just for this thread... if I can figure out what my isp did to my file locker, I'll post it tonight, or email to anyone who want it.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 05, 02:37 PM
Guess

Shoot me an email Jim! I'm gonna need it as well.
Thanks!

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 05, 02:39 PM
Kevin

OK, first pic should answer a bunch of questions. Brass tab is sandwiched between the layers. Metal ring hold it in place on the rubber grommet and ground flows through brass to metal ring and out the bolt. 2nd pic is what is inside the wiper end. I just realized the wiper that is apart is an original 69 RS wiper motor with the correct part number stamp. I will have to rebuild it and put it on Ebay. Too bad I do not have the soleniod.

Kevin

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 05, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

OHHHHH, OK. Duhhhh!! I completely didnt realize that the grommet would come apart like that. The only other question I have is "whats the tab for that sticks off the top left grommet?" I looks like some sort of wire or something hooks up there but I dont see anything in the wiring diagrams.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 05, 06:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

ok, here's a closeup. It's a side view, and you can see that tab. It's rivited to the motor base, then extend onto the grommet, where it makes contact with the screw and grounds the motor to the firewall.

The throttle lever ain't painted blue!! it's fresh from the chrome shop, and picking up one heck of a reflection from the firewall!!

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 05, 08:18 AM
Kevin

Quote:
Originally posted by 69CamaroChesapeakeVA:
OHHHHH, OK. Duhhhh!! I completely didnt realize that the grommet would come apart like that. The only other question I have is "whats the tab for that sticks off the top left grommet?" I looks like some sort of wire or something hooks up there but I dont see anything in the wiring diagrams.
Only the wire harness plugs for the wiper and pump are hooked to the wiper motor on the electrical blades. There should not be any wires attached to bolts or screws. Sounds like someone wired up a ground to fix a ground problem.

Kevin

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 05, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

I have it all figured out now. My grommet kit came with the metal tab already installed on one of them, but my wiper motor had one on it too. I didnt realize that it was the same thing that I already had. I just removed the one from the motor and re-rivited the new one to the motor and put it all together. Thanks so much for all the help in this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode