sloooooooooooooowww wipers - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 05, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

one day this past summer, i turned on my wipers, and they worked so slow, i thought i would get old and die before they returned to there park position. they worked so slow, i thought they werent working at all, until a 1/2 hour later, when they were half way up my windshield. i dumped a little cofee on the linkage, and they didn't speed up any. and thats the truth, well almost. any ideas why they work so slow? thanks for a great site here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 05, 06:53 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Check to see that you have proper voltage to the motor and also a good ground. Most wiper motors had a jumper going to one of the mounting studs. To check for a good ground, touch a wire from a clean spot on the motor to the negative battery teminal. If it speeds up then check the wiper motor to mounting bolt connection and correct that or add a new ground connection. I'm sure the older Camaro wipers wired the same as my 74 Nova and one wire on the motor was an ignition 12V and the others were switched grounds that went to the dash switch for the different speeds. It could also be a bad wiper switch or the ground for that.
Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 05, 07:04 AM
Senior Tech
John

What year car 67-68 or 69?

John
'67 SS/RS (RR)
'68 RS conv. (J2)
'68 Z/28 (VV)
'68 Drag Car(ZZ) 11.30 @ 118
'73 Corvette Drag Car 12.64 @ 106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 05, 05:08 PM
Senior Tech

I agree with Jim. Check the voltage at the wiper motor. There is probably a little corrosion on the wiper motor and firewall conectors in addition to the fuse and switch. Those little bits of corrosion add up to a resistance in the circuit. Combine that with 30 years of grease inside that is probably getting dried up and you'll have slow wipers. So it's probably a combination of things. A voltage check is a good first step.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 05, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

thanks a bunch. my car is a 68 bb L78. i'll make the above checks.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 05, 01:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

are your headlights a little dim aswell?
check the horn relay wires for corrosion.
sounds silly but the main electrical bus is attached to it and if there is corrosion on the connections then wipers and other electrical components will not function properly.
http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...adlights.shtml
read through that itll explain what im telling you.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 05, 03:17 AM
Senior Tech
John

First thing to check is that the wiper switch is well grounded to the dash. Common problem on 67-68.

John
'67 SS/RS (RR)
'68 RS conv. (J2)
'68 Z/28 (VV)
'68 Drag Car(ZZ) 11.30 @ 118
'73 Corvette Drag Car 12.64 @ 106

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode