Re-Born Batteries - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 17, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Re-Born Batteries

Being the skeptical person I am, I took an 8 year and 5 year both dead batteries and decided to try to re vitalize them with distilled water and Epsom salts. Charged them over night. Both the cars sit in there designated spots in the shop for most of there lives. One of the 69's with only 55k original miles has been driven 280 miles since its oil change in 2012, I know!!!. Well here it is 3 months later and both batteries, without a trickle charger, are performing great. Well I did the same to my yard tractor and its still going. I am pleasantly surprised. . . . .try it you'll like it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 17, 07:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Garage
Re: Re-Born Batteries

What is that you do?

1969 Camaro LM1
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 17, 07:13 AM
Senior Tech
Darin

Cool, it worked !
I knew an old school mechanic that would put aspirin in dead batteries.
I'm new school, I don't want to be stranded someplace with a battery full of aspirin,so I always just get a new one every 3-4 years.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 17, 08:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Camaro Guy View Post
Being the skeptical person I am, I took an 8 year and 5 year both dead batteries and decided to try to re vitalize them with distilled water and Epsom salts. Charged them over night. Both the cars sit in there designated spots in the shop for most of there lives. One of the 69's with only 55k original miles has been driven 280 miles since its oil change in 2012, I know!!!. Well here it is 3 months later and both batteries, without a trickle charger, are performing great. Well I did the same to my yard tractor and its still going. I am pleasantly surprised. . . . .try it you'll like it.
Can you offer some more details? Did you simply add distilled water / epsom salt? What was the ratio of salt to water? I have a dead one sitting on my shop floor out of my 67.

Be careful charging a dead battery - if it is off-gassing Hydrogen, there is the potential that it could explode.

1967 RS/SS 350 Conv - triple black, 4sp, tach & gauges

1969 VN-built RS/SS 396 Conv - Garnet Red/Black, 4-sp, tach & gauges
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 17, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

I looked on youtube after hearing about it. I took 8 oz of distilled water and 4 oz of Epsom salt and stirred it until the salt dissolved. I removed the two caps covering the holes in the battery. Each was low in fluid so I filled each of the 6 holes. I used about half of the solution so I did another battery. I charged them with the caps off at 10 amps for a few hours then 2 amps over night. Not to difficult. Some on youtube get quiet involved. I carry jumper cables in both cars just in case!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode