Cosole Harness - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 03, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hi All:
I am putting a console (no gauges as of yet) in my non-console/collumn shift '68. I do have an original factory wiring harness for a non guage console which I plan on using. Can anyone tell me what I would need to hook up this factory harness so that I will have the neutral saftey switch and console lights working?? It appears that several companies make underdash harness that connects to the console harness but were would the other end of it go under the dash??? Do you have to splice wires, does it just plug in somewhere?? I just want to get "armed" with all the info I can prior to diving in...
D. Schribert
'68 Convertible

Dan
'68 Camaro Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 03, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Anyone????
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 03, 02:09 AM
Guess

Crap, left my manuals at home.

On console cars, there's a pigtail from the dash harness that hangs down below the center of the dash and extends a ways along the trans tunnel. Then the console harness just plugs in. At least on '69s there is. Mine did not have console gauges so I would need to replace the wiring in the console with a gauge ready harness.

At the front of the console (and under the dash) is a 6" or 7" wide U-shaped bracket that bolts to the tunnel which has a small bracket on it to hold the two ends of the harnesses.

Someone will know whether a non-console car will have that under-dash pigtail to attach to a console harness. Oh, and whether I'm blowing smoke or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 03, 03:48 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

You need one of the console extension harnesses. If you will be adding console gauges, you will need a console extension harness designed for that. Otherwise you will need a plain console extension harness kit for a non-guage equipped car. No big deal realy. You might need to attach a few wires to the fuse box. There is a terminal for the lights or you might end up hard wiring it to the junction block but either way, it is not too difficult. I added the whole enchalada to my 69 and it was no big deal. The kit came with line by line instructions for a sanitary instalation.

-Mark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode