Brighter Headlights - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 04, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

While rummaging through some parts I found the relays I ordered for my headlights about a year ago. Trouble is that I can't find the paperwork that came with them. I think I can pretty much remember how to do it but don't want to burn anything up. Does anyone out there have a suitable diagram to help me with this project. The car is a 68. Thanks Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 04, 02:16 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

I don't have a diagram handy but the relays are going to get a signal from the old wiring to connect the battery to the headlight low beams and high beams.
The relays you have should have 4 or 5 terminals protruding from the bottom.
If the terminals are marked here's how it wires:
Terminal 30 on both relays goes to the battery positive post with a fuse close to the battery itself.
Terminal 87 on relay #1 will go both the low beam terminals on each headlight.
Terminal 87 on relay #2 will go to both high beam terminals on each headlight.
Terminal 85 on relay #1 will go to the wire that used to go to the low beams on the headlights
Terminal 85 on relay #2 will go to the wire that used to go to the high beams on the headlights
Terminal 86 on both relays will go to a good clean ground close to where the relays are mounted.
If the relays are a 5 wire type then terminal 87a will have no connection to it (the center terminal on the relay).
The factory ground wires from the headlights need to have the screw removed so you can clean the surface area where it attaches and then put the screw back in the terminal underneath it just like it was before (this is just to make sure after you are done the headlights are still not dim).
You can do this upgrade without cutting any of the factory wiring by using 1/4" male and female terminals and some ring terminals but regardless of how you wire this in, try and solder your connections and protect them from corrosion so it lasts a long time.
As far as the fuse size for the battery, it depends on the power of the headlights but I think stock headlights only draw about 10A each so if you put in a 25A you should be fine. Higher wattage headlights may require a 30A or larger fuse and either way make sure you run large enough (gauge) wire so it reduces any voltage drops. Also run the wires so they are not easily pinched or become shorted later on.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 04, 04:23 PM
Senior Tech

A circuit breaker and fusable link are a suitable alternative to fuses for the headlight circuit as well. I like that approach because it is weather tolerant - more so than a fuse. Fuses get corroded and develop bad connections if exposed to moisture. Of course, who here lets their cars get wet?

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 04, 07:08 PM
Senior Tech

I belive this what ya' need

www.chevyhiperformance.com/howto/4417/index.html

89 C4 Coupe/Z51/ZF6/J55

Sold the 69
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 04, 05:27 AM
Retired
Jim

Thats what a few of us are doing now, ordered in these simple to use kits. good luck [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Brighter headlights, Direct wire relay to lights.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 04, 05:54 PM
Senior Tech
Brad

Send a message via MSN to 68CMRO
I just did this in my 67 C-10 and can't really tell the difference, but I've converted to an internally regulated alternator. Also, I live in the big city with lot's of streetlamps. I should be able to tell tomorrow night when I'm coming down from the mountain, especially with the high beams.

I really need to do this on my Camaro as I have a hard time seeing beyond the end of the hood. I bet I'd really notice with my externally regulated alternator.

PS. go to your local import speed shop. They'll probably have this same kit which uses 30 amp/5 pin/Bosch relays. I got both of mine for $9 each.

1968 C10 SWB Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250\Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!....Jeez!)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 04, 07:05 PM

For the ultimate headlights, buy a set of Hellas. You can replace the stock 55/60 watt bulbs in them with some "off road" 60/100's. 100 watt high beams are nice!

Don't try this until after you have wired them with relays though. The increased amperage might melt the stock harness!

[ 03-09-2004, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: Repo Man ]
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 04, 04:52 AM
Senior Tech
Brad

Angry

I did notice a slight increase in light output, especially with the high beams. I think my biggest problem is that I need to aim them better. I also have a pair of aftermarket H-4 style lamps and may go that route later on. I bought them along with 85/100 watt beamers!

Now if I can just keep from getting pulled over all the time!

1968 C10 SWB Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250\Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!....Jeez!)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 04, 07:23 AM

Greetings,

go here:

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...adlights.shtml

[img]graemlins/hurray.gif[/img]
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 04, 05:07 PM
Senior Tech
Brad

Went to go buy a couple more kits several days ago and the prices have literally doubled since I last bought them. However, you can still buy just the Bosch relays for $5 apiece. Actually, it's probably better since I ended up modifying the kit anyway.

1968 C10 SWB Torch Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode