Wire connector ?'s - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 02, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rodney

I am going to be doing some wiring on my camaro and was wandering how much resistance the crimp connectors cause? I am working on the MSD and a couple of other things. I will probably solder the MSD splices and not use the connectors there. I know that I should solder all the connections but it is just so much simpler to use the crimps(I'm a little lazy !)

Thanks

------------------
69 RS Camaro (383,700r-4,12-bolt w/3.73s)
79 WS6 Trans Am (406SBC,factory 4-spd,3.23 posi)
87 GTA Pace Car Clone (350TPI,700r4,140k miles)
97 Bonneville SSE 40th Anniv. (3800 V-6, Power Everything, The little woman's car)
Check out my site and the For Sale Page http://rodsrides.freeservers.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 02, 05:50 PM
Senior Tech
TOM

Should be fine,but maybe you could put some shink tubing over the connection after you crimp it, to seal it from the weather. Also they make that flexable plastic wire covering, to dress up the wires, and keep them together.

------------------
http://www.fototime.com/inv/E695F2E9BD55636

http://hobbystage.net/camaro/tomstv
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 02, 07:11 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

wildcat,

Tomtv is right on here. Any exposed repair (the crimp connections and soldered connections included) should be enviromentally sealed to protect from corrosion which is going to increase resistance at the connection. Amp makes the heat shrink tubing and they also make it with a glue inside which melts during the heating and seals the connection from the enviroment.

For MSD use the crimp connections properly sealed will not be a problem. Stay away from soldered connections if they will be exposed to heat in their application. Other than digital buses and antenna leads for flight critcal systems the crimp connectors are used all over the various systems in the jet aircraft I maintain. Keep the number to a minimum and stagger them so when the harnesses are bundled you do not have any connectors drawn up against each other in the bundle. You can use gold plated connections if you are concerned about resistance, but you standard automotive wire quality (lower quality conductor) doesn't justify that.

Use the crimp conectors, seal the ends and use proper maintenance practices and you'll be fine.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 02, 04:32 AM
Senior Tech

Wildkatz,
There are a number of companies making heat sealed wire connectors. Standard Products is just one of them. They are a little pricey but give you an excellent end result. After crimping you heat them with a heat gun or small torch and the connector shrinks to the insulation and provides a weather proof barrier. You can even use "liquid electrical tape" for double protection. GM has gotten away from soldering connections. Even an air bag wiring repair kit comes with these heat sealed connectors. The only soldering I do now for wiring repairs is on the pins and terminals for wires that go into a GM connector (Packard Electric).
Drew
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 02, 07:05 AM
Senior Tech

I agree. Crimp joints will do the job. However, I usually recommend soldering wires. Why? Because some people do not properly crimp joints. Instead of following the crimp lug manufacturer's instructions, they use a pair of pliers or a cheap 2-point crimping tool. No major airframe manufacturer uses these.
Crimp lugs are designed to accept a certain gage of wire, plated accordingly, and annealed to meet a certain crimp resistance and pull strength. If the joint is not crimped properly it won't work right. If the wrong gage wire is used is also won't work right.
To answer the question about crimp resistance: Resistance isn't the way a joint is tested. It's measured by voltage drop across the joint. Maybe the information here explains things better than I can.
I also like "solder sleeves". Solders the wire and insulates the joint at the same time. Clean and pre-tin the old automobile wires first. Otherwise the wires won't bond. http://www.dmctools.com/dmctools/crimping-facts.html
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 02, 05:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance

Use un-coated tinned crimp connectors and solder them after crimping. Use heat shrink around the soldered crimp, and forget it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 02, 09:11 AM
Senior Tech

Nicely said John.
But for you folks in the Buffalo area, side cutters work great!! Call me in a couple of years$$

------------------
69 convertible
LT1 4L60E
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 02, 04:02 PM
Senior Tech

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joe clance:
Use un-coated tinned crimp connectors and solder them after crimping. Use heat shrink around the soldered crimp, and forget it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right on Joe. That's what I do...especially on connections exposed to the elements. I'll often pack them full of dialectric grease before shrinking though.

-dnult
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 02, 04:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dnult:
Right I'll often pack them full of dialectric grease before shrinking though.

-dnult
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very through connection system! Also make sure you use a resin core flux. If an acid flux is needed (very corroded wires) be sure to clean the solder joint before sealing the connection.
joe c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode