Weird electrical problem... - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 04, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation

I've posted this on the Team Chevelle site as this is a Chevelle related issue, but I usually like to post things like this on both sites to get different types of exposure, so sorry if anyone has to read this again [img]graemlins/waving.gif[/img]

My car was working just fine as I pulled into a parking lot, nothing out of the ordinary. I got in an hour later and turned the key. My generator light was on (although dim), with the right turn signal lit up. The lights inside turned on and were dim, and dimmed more when I would tap the brake. My CD player would not light up. Later I found turning the key causes the passenger light and signals to turn on at full brightness (even with lights off), and the drivers lights on and dim. When I turn the lights on manually, it's the same thing, but no tail lights. However, when I open the door, or turn on my dome light with the key off, the inside light works fine. I tried jumping a few times, and it only bumped (and a quick, split second bump) twice. The car is now towed home. I can't find anything in the dark so I'm going to wait till tomorrow after school to fix this. I'm trying to look for suggestions though. When the car was working, my headlights and dashlights would like to get bright and dim, and my blower motor would blow harder and softer, and they seemed to correlate, which made me think something like voltage regulator? I don't really know anything electricl so I'm in the dark on guessing that, but that seemed to make sense. If it completely went kaput, would that cause these symptoms, or do I have a bigger problem than I think? I would like to fix this asap as this is my daily driver, but I know it's probably going to take a lot of time with voltemeter. I've checked all grounds I could easily see in the engine compartment, and tried to check the fuses. If any of this needs clarification I'll be on here for a while to help. Thanks a lot in advance.

1971 Chevelle SS, matching numbers...350/TH350.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 04, 11:06 AM
Senior Tech

Sounds like a ground issue. I suspect the fender to negative cable ground but could be elsewhere. The thing about light circuits is that they can operate no matter which direction the current is flowing. Can cause some pretty weird results. Use a volt meter to measure between the negative post and fender and then between the negative post and block. For grins measure between the block and fender. It would also be good to have a helper tweaking the key switch while you do this. All readings should show no more than a few thenths of a volt drop.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode