brake lights - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 05, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Christopher

Send a message via AIM to ctrghtous
I have an intermittent brake light problem that is several phases
first when the pedal is depressed the right fron turn signal comes on (a 3rd brake light!?)
Next the brake lights don't always work, they have a mind of their own.
But the brake lights do not always turn on the front turn signal.
Also I have sporadically working fuel gauge. When it is registering on the dash it seems accurate, but that is rare.
Are these two problems one in the same or seperate? the reason I ask this is that the fuel gauge started working today, and miraculously the front turn signal started coming on. Yesterday, the fuel gauge didn't work but the turn signal wasn't coming on either.
I have checked the brake light switch and it is fine, the front and rear turn signals work as they should. And the front turn signal seems to work fine even if the brakes are on? I'm stumped? Help please

Chris
68 camaro, sbc 385 (going together), holley 4150 750cfm, 4 spd, gm HEI, performer RPM intake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 05, 06:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I'd suspect a grounding problem in the back of the car. Does the fuel guage go high or low when it doesn't work? What year is your car? What do the side marker lights do (if it's a 68 or 69)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 05, 07:53 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage
The rear turn signals and brake lights are on the same circuit on most cars in the 60s and 70s vintage. The common component your turn signals and brake lights share is the turn signal switch. I have seen a faulty turn signal switch cause the turn signal/brake light gremlins you're experiencing.

69 RS, Hugger orange/black, Deluxe interior, Sony AM/FM/XM/CD, PS & PB. 355, forged pistons, Eagle rods, balanced, Iron Eagles, 9.4:1 CR, .038 quench, XR270HR Cam, Z28 intake, FAST-EZ EFI 2.0, Thorley Tri-Ys, TCI 700R4, 2400 stall, 3.42 posi

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 05, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Christopher

Send a message via AIM to ctrghtous
the car is a '68. The fuel gauge goes high and actually it did that this evening but I still have the front turn signal coming on. I don't actually know what the marker lights are doing b/c I don't have any.
Also I had a bad turn signal switch, the plastic was broken in it, so I replaced it with a new one. The lights all worked fine for a while after I replaced the switch though so I am doubtful that it is the culprit.
I don't know if I said earlier that the brake lights sometimes just don't come on at all. Are these symptoms indicative of a bad ground in the back? If so is there any way to check it?

Chris
68 camaro, sbc 385 (going together), holley 4150 750cfm, 4 spd, gm HEI, performer RPM intake
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 05, 10:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

on '67's and '68's, the tail lights ground through the mounting studs on the housing. It's not unusual, on a restored / repainted car for the nuts simply to not have scraped enough paint off to get a good ground. Get some 1/4" star washers at the hardware store and put one under 2 or 3 of the nuts on each side.

I've never really studied the circuitry, but it's very strange.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode