Fuel Gauge wiring question? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old May 18th, 04, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Question

I've replaced all my factory gauges in my '68 with Autometer stuff and am having problems getting the fuel gauge to work.

Originally, the car came with the in-dash fuel level gauge. My wiring diagram shows 1 tan wire running to the fuel gauge. However, there are two tan wires at the back of the plug which ran into the pod/circuit board.

The new gauge is on the console. I've installed a brand new sending unit and it's grounded good and everything. I traced the tan wire from the sender, into the rear harness, to the front and determined which tan wire it is in the dash. That one is hooked to the sender post in the back of the new gauge but nada. No change at all, even when the ignition is turned on (no bump, nothing).

What is the second tan wire for? It's not on the Wiring diagram. I think I remember it being hot, so I don't want to blow the gauge or sending unit. Should it also be hooked in-line to the back of the gauge? (I'm thinking the current may need to run from the powersource, through the gauge and to the sender, where it measures the resistance??)

Should both tan wires be connected at the gauge? I don't think there is a current at all going to the sending unit.

Please help. It's driving me nuts.

Thanks-

nathan y
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old May 18th, 04, 02:21 PM
Team Member
John

Quote:
Originally posted by y-try:
(I'm thinking the current may need to run from the powersource, through the gauge and to the sender, where it measures the resistance??)
That's exactly how the factory gauge circuit works; 12 volts to the "I" terminal (ignition) on the gauge, the tan wire runs from the "S" terminal (sender) back to the rheostat on the sending unit, and the other end of the rheostat winding is grounded to the body forward of the right side of the tank. The variable resistance of the rheostat attached to the float arm causes the movement of the gauge needle.
[img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]

JohnZ
CRG
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old May 18th, 04, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

I have an alternate ignition "hot" wire hooked to the "I" on the gauge. Should I disconnect this other wire and use the second tan wire for that connection? Does that second tan wire need to be used to somehow complete the circuit?

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode