are 6 cyl's in the same place as 8 cyl - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 01, 12:11 PM
hideaway

i'll try posting my trouble here.i didn't get much reponse in general tech maybe cause it's a wiring problem anyways here it goes.i bought a used wiring harness for the lights[headlite] for my 69 camaro.the plug that goes in with the engine part of the harness fits together,the engine harness is new from NPD.the used harness has a short green wire about 2 inches from where the engine and lite harness go in the back of the fuse panel,and i can't figure this out.next problem is there is no horn wires in the middle of the radiator support.the guy says it [the lite harness is off a 6 cyl 69 camaro] are the horns located somewhere else on a 6 cyl.if so where?????anyone that help me here i would really be gratefull!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 01, 07:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Hideaway, I read your post before and thought you would get a respnse by now. Usually if no one responds, like me, nobody knows for sure. I could give you my educated guess though. I would say the horns are located in the same spot regardless if it's a 6 or 8 cylinder car. As for the wiring, which I'm kind of a retard about, you should have a horn relay on the radiator support, right? Did the harness have the wires for that? It's hard for me to help if I'm not standing there looking at it. What I would try is this. Hook everything up as it will normally, then extend the green wire to the horn to see if it will work. You don't know if it is the correct wire that someone has cut for whatever reason. If that doesn't work, unwrap the light harness were it goes across radiator support to see if they have cut and wrapped up the wires for the horn there.
I have a mystery wire on my car that still drives me nuts. I rewrapped and fixed my harness after the wreck it was in. Hooked everything up, and everything works perfectly, and it's an RS to boot. Well, on the pass. side, by the battery there's a tan colored wire that's hot all the time, that goes nowhere. I can't find a place for this wire anywhere, and everything is working good and it is a factory wire in the harness to the firewall plug. It just drives me nuts sometimes.
Try these things and repost, I hope you get this figured out.

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 01, 11:50 AM
hideaway

thanks steve i felt like i had been blacked balled.i've asked this question for so long i can't believe no one on this sight knows where the horns are on a 6 cyl. i mean let someone ask something STUPID like what color should i paint my car and low and behold 40 reply's.i mean who is gonna paint their car by people telling a person to, that you don't even know.i ask a probably simple tech question and duh!!!!!!!!!! well anyways thanks,i'am gonna send the harness back to the guy i can't tell for sure if it's a 69 camaro harness.maybe if i can come up with something out of this world to ask [like how fast should i go b-fore i change gears] i might get some answers.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 01, 12:23 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Hideaway - that's uncalled for!!! Folks here don't owe anyone anything!!! Steve explained it how it is, maybe nobody knows!! I don't know why I am gonna add anything else but here goes..

The '69 Factory Assm Manual only shows 1 location for the horns.. They are connected via the Horn and headlamp wiring. The wire is dark green from the fuse panel to the horns...

In the future show some damn respect!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 01, 01:59 PM
hideaway

djd, had you told me this b-fore about the green wire and no other location then that would have answer it for me.and as far as being disrespectful i don,t see that i have been.i 'am not the one swearing on the board i enjoy reading alot of this stuff.and sure wasn't looking to make anyone mad.i just figured as many fellows as there were here that surely someone knew if a 6 cyl 69 horns were located somewhere besides in the middle of the radiator support.that,s all i was trying to find out.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 01, 02:22 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
hideaway - go back and read your reply to stevo... <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>i mean let someone ask something STUPID like what color should i paint my car and low and behold 40 reply's.i mean who is gonna paint their car by people telling a person to, that you don't even know.i ask a probably simple tech question and duh!!!!!!!!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Now tell me that isn't dis-respectful of the folks here!

I guess I should apologize to you because I had to work out of town most of last week and didn't get to see your other post!! I also spent 20 min going through a book because I didn't know the answer directly. If I had not found anything should I have written the author and told him he provided a bunch of stupid info and left out what I was looking for?

I do hope this site helps you and that you in turn help others on this site. Please just keep the comentary to yourself if it's not positive.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 01, 04:43 PM
Senior Tech

Probably like many others here, I saw your post. My first thought was the green wire is the temp sensor wire that goes to the driver's side head, but then again it might be a horn wire. Rather than give a wrong answer, I figured to pass and maybe someone would split their harness and sort it out for you. These wiring deals get confusing even on the much simpler early cars.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 01, 05:08 PM
hideaway

ok fellows maybe i let the stress of that wiring harness get the better of my senses.it's got down to the nitty gritty on this car and i guess the board here has help me so much, i guess i thought would pick up the quick answer here.djd i to looked in my assembly manual but i thought maybe they just didn't show it or something.anyways like i said with all the confusion of this harness i think it best i just get a new one.i would like to say that this site has shed a lot of answers to questions not only to me but to friends of mine. thanks
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 01, 06:02 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

There are only 2 green wires in the front lighting wiring harness. There is a dark green wire that goes to the temperature sender, and a light green wire that runs from the bulkhead penetration to the drivers side headlight connection. This is the high beam wire from the dimmer on the floor. The light green wire never comes out of the wire loom, it runs all the way from the fire wall to the radiator support. The dark green temperature switch wire does come out of the wire loom, but it does so about 6 or 8" away from the bulkhead connector.

The horns are in the same place as every other car and has a dark green wire that runs to the horn relay. Its not part of the forward light harness, its a separate wire that just loops around the core support.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode