Old School FM Converter - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 17, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Old School FM Converter

You older folks will remember these but the younger generation probably will not. A few weeks ago I visited the local ReStore Store and found this Audiovox FM converter with bracket, antenna wire and original instructions for $4.00. My Camaro has a restored AM radio and a pair of speakers in the center dash location. Since the few local AM stations typically play stuff I don't want to listen to I usually leave it turned off.

Back then most cars came with AM radio if they had a radio at all. These converters became available to add FM and a lot of people used them. I remember I installed one for my Grandmother in her '74 Chevelle, probably the mid to late 70's. Why revert to this old technology? I think it will be kind of cool to have a 2nd day upgrade in the car.

I found the bulb is burned out and it isn't a design I recognize. Maybe one of you can help me locate one.

I don't know when I will have time to install this but I will let you know how it turns out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1025.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	191233   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1026.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	191241  

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 159
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 17, 07:06 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: Old School FM Converter

LOL my dad had one of them in his 69 C-10....1970something I think ?

keep us posted

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 17, 07:14 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 17, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Wow! That's the bulb sure enough. I'll wait to make sure this thing works before I double the cost of my investment. Stay tuned.

Skunk Works
Some photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 159
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 17, 07:33 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Yeah one of my first retail jobs was in a record store selling car stereo. We sold tons of these, along with 8 track to cassette convertors LOL.
I have a FM converter in the garage that I used in my 72 Impala. Worked great when AM turned over to mainly talk-radio in these parts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 17, 10:13 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Good find. I still have the one I bought years ago and it's good to know there is a replacement bulb out there.

The original one looks like it was dipped into a paint to color it's output and I did the same thing years ago with dunking bulbs into some candy paint (tinted/colored clear) and could dunk it one time and let it dry for a particular shade or dunk it once, let it dry, then dunk it again to darken it a little more. I also remember some small bulbs like that out of aftermarket radio's that had slip on covers to change the color output.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 17, 11:06 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Garage

lol...I went to a swap meet yesterday and a guy there must of had a dozen of them he was selling.
69-Pace likes this.

69 Hugger Orange 396 M20 3:31
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 17, 11:39 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

That was the first 'mod' I did to my mother's '73 Duster after I got my license. It definitely increased the cool factor until the cassette player came along...
69-Pace likes this.

Kevin

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 17, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

What were the swap meet units selling for?

Skunk Works
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 17, 12:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Never used a regular fm converter. Did use a 47 mhz converter to monitor the police. For a while you could get a raio shack cb dual band that monitored police frequencies... then crystal based scanners showed up... whoo hooo
69-Pace likes this.

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 17, 12:52 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Garage

Sorry, I didn't ask for a price. It was at Atlanta Dragway in Commerce Ga. The next one will be the first Saturday in October. I wouldn't be surprised if he was there again next month.

69 Hugger Orange 396 M20 3:31
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 17, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Well today I tested it and found it works so I did the install. I found under the dash carrier were holes that matched the bracket hole pattern that tells me this dash carrier possibly hosted a FM converter in a previous life.

To tuck it up tight and set back I used a piece of 1/16" plate to make a bracket utilizing the two holes. I gotta say this tunes in really well but through the AM radio and dual center mounted speaker the sound quality is reminiscent of the era.

Now I need to order a new bulb. I think I have some of the colored bulb covers from some gauges. I would rather have an orange color instead of the green to match the other gauges in the cabin but will see what I may have. I do wonder if I painted a bulb would the paint hold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1030.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	191289   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1031.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	191297  
69-Pace likes this.

Skunk Works
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 17, 05:50 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew69 View Post
Well today I tested it and found it works so I did the install. I found under the dash carrier were holes that matched the bracket hole pattern that tells me this dash carrier possibly hosted a FM converter in a previous life.

To tuck it up tight and set back I used a piece of 1/16" plate to make a bracket utilizing the two holes. I gotta say this tunes in really well but through the AM radio and dual center mounted speaker the sound quality is reminiscent of the era.

Now I need to order a new bulb. I think I have some of the colored bulb covers from some gauges. I would rather have an orange color instead of the green to match the other gauges in the cabin but will see what I may have. I do wonder if I painted a bulb would the paint hold.
Here is my bulb trick. Head to the CVS, or bigbox and buy a green Sharpie magic-marker. Have at the bulb glass one or two coats. Instant green tint, thin enough not to burn off.

Brian

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 17, 07:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

I think FM converters were just a few years before my time (started driving in '74) so I have to ask the dumb question. What's the difference between an FM converter and an FM radio? Was it just an add-on for an AM only radio? My first car ('72 Malibu) had a cassette player and AM/FM radio.

1967 RS 327/275hp
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 17, 08:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

FM wasnt in common use in the late 60's though it was available. Once broadcasting in stereo became more common it drove the market. Even then i dont think fm overtook am until the late 70's. Gosh...old audio....hitting potholes with a pontiac reverb system installed......

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode