ignition - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 04, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Hello, I recently changed my points system to electronic. I disconnected some wires from my coil and did'nt write them down. I have a wire going to my starter, and two wires to the fuse block via the firewall, one of which is aluminum, that i was tracing in order to replace with copper to get the correct voltage to the coil. I can't remember which wire goes where.I beleive the wire i'm replacing goes to the positive side of the coil but can't remember where the other two go. I know it sounds stupid and i shoud have wrote them down, but like many , i had a few beers while working on my car, enough said. Any help would be very helpful. Thanks Denis

68 rs/ss 396-350hp<br />sunny daily driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 04, 02:36 PM
Senior Tech
Steven

The yellow ( starter ) and the white clothlike ( resistor ) go to the positive side. The black wire ( from distributor ) goes to negative . Now, if you have a 2nd wire coming from distributor ( because of elec conversion you just did ) , it will probably go to a full 12 volt ( use ignition on fuse box ) ... The resistor wire does not carry 12 volts ( 7 to 9 volts instead ) . Check/Read your instruction to be sure on + feed wire for electronic conversion ...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 04, 03:38 PM
Senior Tech

That cloth wire (resistor wire) can be though of as a ballast resistor if your particular ignition instructions show one. But as sdt^2 said, electronic ignitions usually use a full 12 volts with no ballast resistor or resistor wire. But there are some that use both - a full 12 volts to the module and a ballast resistor or resistor wire to the coil.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 04, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for the reply. Other than the cloth covered wire going to the fuse block , their is a brown wire. I'm pretty sure the cloth covered wire goes to the positive side but not sure about the brown wire. Denis

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 04, 05:34 PM
Senior Tech
John

Does the car have a factory tach? If it does, the brown wire went to the negative side of the coil.

John
'67 SS/RS (RR)
'68 RS conv. (J2)
'68 Z/28 (VV)
'68 Drag Car(ZZ) 11.30 @ 118
'73 Corvette Drag Car 12.64 @ 106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 04, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Can I take the red wire from the new ignition module and splice it with the cloth wire and bypass the coil? I think they ran them both to the pos. side of the coil just for a termination point because the wires don't reach? Denis

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 04, 12:28 PM
Senior Tech
Steven

You need to refer to your instructions to see if the module requires a full 12 volts. What brand is the module/kit you installed? If you require a full 12 volts, your car may run erratic if the voltage is too low, so don't use the resistor ... If you require a resistor to step down the voltage, you can to run the red wire to the + side of the coil by extending the red wire by splicing in an extension ... Because the cloth wire is "unique", I would be inclined to leave it intact ... just my personal preference ...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 04, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

It does require 12v thats why I'm changing the cloth covered wire. I was told that this wire was aluminum and and transfered 9v to the coil on a 12v system so the points wouldn't burn up.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 04, 04:36 PM
Senior Tech
Steven

Just run the red wire to the terminal marked IGNition on the fuse block...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode