Team Camaro Tech banner

wiring for console

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  JimM 
#1 ·
I have a 68 rally sport with floor console. When I got the car a few years ago the previous owner had started hacking the wiring and taking the interior apart. The car is a factory console car but there is no wiring between the plug in at the dash to the console. Is this the wiring I see in ricks,d+r etc. Is that what the factory did when the car had a console, they just extended the wiring down to the console? Should this car have a normal dash fuel guage, seeing that it has a console? thanx. wnk.

#2 ·
most console cars did not have the guage package. Without the console guages, you'd have a dash fuel guage. The connector for the console is about 3/4" by 2", with 2 rows of pins. The cable is long, goes all the way into the console with room to spare.

The wiring harness for inside the console is sold in 4 combo's, auto or manual, with or without guages.

#3 ·
my car has the console guages and the dash guage,but I think the previos owner had something to do with that. What I need, to get the console guages working is a harness that plugs in behind the speedometer and runs down to the console and plugs into that plug. The console is wired from the factory by the looks. Is tht what I see in the catalogs that runs about 45 dollars for a manual shift car with guages thanx. wnk

#4 ·
lets back up a bit, and feed us some more info.

A car with Factory console guages WOULD always also have a dash tach and NEVER have a dash fuel guage. This would also include a specific dash harnes for a guage equipped car, as well as the appropriate console harness and front lighting harness.

With "later date" guage conversions, many use a "guage conversion" harness, which hooks in along with the original non-guage dash and lighting harnesses and new guage console harness, and involves a bit of splicing to make everything work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.