Spark plug wire suggestions? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 03, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

I need a new set of wires. I have the intention of converting my dual points to HEI sometime in the near future so I want wires that can be used with both style if possible. I am gonna go with some sort of small body HEI. Seen quite a few different ones out there and getting confused. Also is it best to get the build your own or the premade ones? Thanks for any help
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 03, 02:28 PM
Senior Tech

If your dual point uses a standard points type GM cap you're not going to find wires to fit it and an HEI. HEI cap terminals look like spark plug terminals. I'm currently using Taylor Spiro-Pro wires on my '69 and am very pleased with them. They've been on the engine for over eight years (about 15K miles) and still work like new. Get the custom fit wires, the do-it-yourself wires can be a pain the a**.

'69 RS Camaro 355 5-speed 4.11
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 03, 02:30 PM
Senior Tech
TOM

I use the 8mm Taylor wires,and they work great.You will have to make up the ends,as they come precut,and one end is done,but the other end that goes to the sparkplug,will have to be made up.But that's good,because then you can cut the sparkplug wire to the proper lenth,and make a nice job of it,keeping the wires dressed up,and in order. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 03, 02:58 PM
Senior Tech

TOMSTV the 8mm wires are available in custom fit sets with the ends already on from Summit and they're cheaper than the universal sets. They fit nice too.

'69 RS Camaro 355 5-speed 4.11
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 03, 03:59 PM
Senior Tech

I would suggest Dave's Small Body HEI. It is a true HEI in a small body distributor that will fit without having to beat-up the firewall.

http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com/

Also I would suggest Magnecor wires. They are flat out the best wires you can buy. Allready made up to the length you want with whatever style ends you want. Great stuff. I'm running a 383 with Dave's HEI and 7mm Magnecors with no problems at all.

http://www.magnecor.com/
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 03, 04:42 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Scott - the caps for an hei and a points dist have different terminals on them. There are a couple ways you could reuse a set of wires when you do an hei conversion. You can buy an hei like the Daves mentioned already and request a points style cap. (Dave actually rebuilds your points dist into an hei.) You can convert using a patronics or one of the other kits available also as it still uses the points style cap. Either of these would allow the same wires.

If you go with a GM hei you would have to buy a set of wires that you cut and add the dist ends (like Tom spoke of, I think he meant to say dist end not plug end.) You make them up longer for the points dist and then cut them to the proper length and change the ends when you get the hei.

Unless your current wires are shot I would hold off on new wires until you get the hei you want. If you are scrapped for money go visit a salvage yard and find a chevy hei. I think they first came out around '74 (Z/28's got them mid year in '74). They are the large body type with the coil in the cap and shouldn't be more than $20 - $30 at a salvage yard. Try to avoid late 70's or early 80's as they have a lot of mechanical and a lot of vacuum advance built into them. This can be worked around but unless you are very patient it can raise the cost a bit if you pay to have it re-curved... The other issue is if it will fit and clear your air cleaner and firewall.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 03, 05:34 PM
Senior Tech

I purchased one of Dave's HEI units and really like it. It looks good, works good, and is very repairable given the module is an over-the-counter part at any auto parts store. What I wanted to add to the discussion is that the Cap on my distributor is a small HEI cap. Does anyone know if Scott could put an HEI style cap on his distributor until he is ready to upgrade? The only catch I can think of might be the rotor. The Dave's unit cost about $200 and I'd recommend nothing else for street performance.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 03, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

I actually have a quote from Dave last winter, but gonna hold off till this winter to do the HEI when I go though my motor. My wires are fairly old and have some boot tearing problems. I know the HEI caps are different and just wanted to get some suggestions on the build your own or premade mainly. Thanks for all the good advise.
Scott
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 03, 10:19 AM
Senior Tech

Just to throw a little variety in, I am running a Mallory dist with Accel 8mm wires on my 11:1 350 (numbers matching SS)& went the long Haul on Power Tour with zero problems

69 RS/SS 350, 700R4 and 3.73 rear end
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 03, 11:15 AM

Angry

I have to second the use of the Taylor wires. Just made mine today and they look good and seem to perform all right so far. Have to say , they were the easiest to make of all the wires I have done.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 03, 02:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I use magnecor but their website www.magnecor.com is good reading no matter what you decide.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode