Gas Gauge On '67 Console Is Out - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 04, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

The gas gauge on the center console of my '67 recently stopped working. Only reads empty, even when the tank is full. What should I check first for troubleshooting? Is was working fine, then just stopped working.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 04, 09:53 AM
Retired
Jim

Steve, good chance its a ground along the way that finally disconnected or rusted out of contact. You can ground brown wire that goes to your sender at the tank and see if that pegs the needle full, then you know the guage works.
Then also check the grounds at the tank and the console ground. Also try a search in here, there have been many little things that cause guages to act up, you might find one similar to your issue.
Im no elec. genious by any sorts but of all the reading Ive done in here on elec. problems most of them have eneded up being ground related.

[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 04, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Jim. Looks like I've got a loose ground at the tank. Someone just wrapped the brown ground wire around the tank strap screw fastener. Ugh. Where is this ground wire supposed to be secured?

Steve

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 04, 11:00 AM
Retired
Jim

If 67 is same as my 69, there is s screw into the frame (pan) adjacent to the tank strap bracket. The screw uses one of those raised edge star washers and you might sand down the spot around the screw hole to get a good ground there. The wire should have one of those round brass fittings on the end of it, the screw goes thru it and the star washer helps make the tight ground there. Sounds like thats it, wrapping around a painted surface isnt much of a ground. Keep us informed.
If you have to improvise for a few days, just clean that area up and wrap the wire around the screw right before you screw it in tight and use a washer over the wire as well.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 04, 06:04 PM
Senior Tech

Angry

Yes, 67 is the same. I had this same problem but mine turned out to be a loose connection where tank wire plugs in inside trunk at fill tube.

1967 Camaro coupe Deluxe interior LT-1 350 w/ 4spd. M-21 trans and 12 bolt rear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode