67 R/S alternater relocation - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 00, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

My 67 RS has a 327 with the 2spd powerglide. I just had the heads redone as the engine was in pieces when I got the car, recently I re assembled almost everything, It was a 327 with a 2bbl, now its the 327 with the stock iron heads with with a Holly dominator manifold and a H750 ontop. I threw in a GM HEI ignition modlule that I still need to connect, but now my alternater is giving me some heck. when I looked at the pile of alternator parts in the trunk, I dont know where it goes.. my drivers side manifold has the bold and bracket on it. but there are no accessory holes in the heads. where to I bolt the top to? the intake doesnt have any holes either...anyone have any pictures I could go by???

[This message has been edited by Chris Edwards (edited 03-03-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Chris Edwards (edited 03-03-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 00, 09:46 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

Sounds like you got early model heads. All Camaros used heads with accessory bolt holes. The only thing I can think of is to go with early model alternator brackets, but they may not line the alternator pulley up correctly with the other pulleys.

The Holley Dominator (I assume you have the single plane) is a more of a race piece, that's why there is no provision for mounting the alternator. Good luck.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

[This message has been edited by gheatly (edited 03-03-2000).]
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 00, 01:00 PM
Tech Team
Dave

Talking

My 67 RS alternator bracket does not bolt to the head. The alt bolts to the ears on the exhaust manifold. and the top bracket bolts to a combo bolt/stud on the water pump and also bolts to the intake manifold in front and to the driverside of the thermostat housing. Unfortunatly I don't have a picture to show you.

Good Luck!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 00, 03:37 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

Torch is correct. If your exhaust manifold is correct, it should have two mounting lugs on the front/upper section. A separate bracket attaches to this, and finally the alternator. The bracket is fairly thick (1/2") and will only bolt to this manifold location. The stock upper brace is pressed steel that attaches to the upper LH water pump bolt and to a horizontal boss cast into the front LH side of the intake manifold. If you have a parts catalog you will see this boss on all of the dual-plane models, but only on some single-plane. The cheap cure for the upper brace is to use a universal chrome brace that will mount to the LH upper waterpump bolt. They are available through most mail order and parts houses if you cannot find it in the trunk.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 00, 09:56 AM

Smile

My 67s alt also mounts like Torch's.

------------------
Severe 67
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 00, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

I see how it lines up, but I do not have the same brackets, I see where the exhaust manifold bolts up and I can see the drivers side water pump bolts with extra studs on them with nuts. I rolled the alternater into the lower bolt, rolled it into "supposid" place, and BUMP it bangs into my new valve covers.. about 3 inches short of the waterpump bracket. I managed to locate a Mrgasket armature that looks like a big loose letter 7 2 bolts that go to the waterpump and then it rolls over to meet the top bolt of the alternator, well it still dont fit. I dont want to lose these valve covers i just spent 70 bux on , so I rigged it for now. I used 1 of the bolts from the set of 2 on the new mrgasket bracket to the top drivers side waterpump bolt, the alternator then can reach fine to the bracket with about 1-2 inches for adjustment of the belt (which now is way to short) I hope they make them big... I havent measure it yet, but at least it fits in the semi rigged bracket... hope it holds...

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 00, 05:52 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

Do you have tall valve covers?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 00, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

now i do , the original ones were the old 327 low profile ones with the chevrolet on them, they were ugly, even after a sandblast + repaint. I liked the chrome ones and figured it would fit.

I figured wrong. I did manage to get the aftermarket bracket rigged. I still need to measure the belt routing so I can get a size for the belt.. then its just a matter of sitting in the parts store measuring belts to see what one I need....
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 00, 06:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Greatly, If I'm remembering correctly, 1969 was the year for accessory bolt holes on the front of the heads, and long water pumps. All '69 and later the alternator through bolted directly to the front of the head, '68 and prior bolted to a bracket that attached to the exhaust mainfold

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 00, 07:57 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

Tall valve covers and those aftermarket brackets are a pain. I hope that it works out for you. As far as the belt, you may want to try this. Push the alternator all the way against the valve cover and back off so you have about 1/4" clearance. Put the belt on the lower and pump pulley and pull the belt taught by hand as if it were being installed. Measure the distance from the inside curve of the belt (where it would normally ride in the bottom of the alternator pulley) to the outside curve in the bottom of the alternator pulley. Multiply this distance by 2. Head down to your parts store with your old belt and ask for one that is longer by the number you calculated. It should get you in the ballpark. If it turns out that it is too long or short, Gates numbers are easy: each larger number (ie 1705 to 1706) is 1/2" longer in length. After you find the belt that fits, be sure to write the number somewhere on the car so you can replace it on the road in case of a breakdown since the teenage computer parts person will have no clue what you have. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode