1967 camaro fuel gauge - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 17, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Jayson

Garage
1967 camaro fuel gauge

Hey everyone, Im kinda new at this but i NEED HELP!
I just got done replacing my camaros wiring harness under the dash and everything works like it should with no cut wires or anything. (I suck at wires) But my fuel gauge is reading at 3 oclock??? It worked before i replaced the dash harness. I checked the ground at the tank and its still brand new too and is grounded properly. Is it in the dash harness? Please help, i cant drive it until i fix it because Im to paranoid. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 17, 02:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Re: 1967 camaro fuel gauge

Have you read this thread? It's some what a common problem and they made this thread a Sticky at the top of the electrical section.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/19-ele...n-69-pace.html

Roger

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 17, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Jayson

Garage

Thank you. Im gonna try some of those things out he talked about.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 17, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Jayson

Garage

So Ive tried just about everything but its still reading at 3 o clock. Is there a ground wire in the back of the dash or a clip that grounds the fuel gauge??? My gauge worked before perfect and i could of missed a wire. Anyone know the color wire or where there is another ground besides in the back by the fuel tank? Thank You
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 17, 08:09 PM
Senior Tech
Matthew

1967 camaro fuel gauge

Your instrument cluster needs a ground. It should attach from the rear of the gauge to the steering column. 67's the high beam light socket will have a hard wire ground to the top center bezel screw.

When mine was stuck at 3 o'clock the wire between the sender and cluster plug was bad. Verify the ohms in the trunk plug match the cluster plug.. I pulled a new wire and worked right away.
Also clean your cluster plug connections. Pencil eraser works pretty good.

Last edited by windsma; Sep 15th, 17 at 08:20 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 17, 11:05 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Jayson - Both suggestions are in the right direction. First the 67 & 68 instrument clusters have very week ground points. There are several posts on adding a dedicated ground wire from the cluster and then taping a hole in the mounting support solving all these clusters grounds once and for all. Most run the wire from the same screw where the "paperclip" grounding would make contact pictured above in the bottom right corner of the red circle.

If you are getting signal on the sender wire at the cluster connection then the issue is at the gauge. If you ground the signal wire in the trunk where it connects to the fuel tank sender wire - don't ground the sender wire, but run a alligator clip from the connector socket to a trunk ground point - and the gauge reads past empty the gauge is working and the wiring to the trunk is working, so the issue maybe the sender, or the sender wire.

If you get no response to the grounding test, then you have a wire issue up the intermediate harness to the drivers kick panel connection. Check your connection at the intermediate and the dash harness. If that connect is good then the issue is at the cluster and the connection tot he printed circuit board, or a broken line of the circuit to the gauge.You can test continuity with your multi-meter from the printer circuit input at the plug port to the point where it transfers to the gauge input.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 17, 09:49 AM
Senior Tech
Matthew

1967 camaro fuel gauge

This picture is from the 68 assembly manual.
Larger ground strap and ground wire attached at steering column mount/pedal bracket.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 17, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Jayson

Garage
Alright so I have found a problem that I believe if I can figure out where its at the car will be GOOD! I checked the harness from the main harness to the rear harness and that all the conectors are reading grounded out, besides one is powered??? Anyone know what or where i messed something up? Reminder its a new main wiring harness i just installed. Thank you guys!!

Alright so I have found a problem that I believe is a missing ground or something. Its a new main wiring harness i just installed and was having a ground issue with just my fuel gauge but i have no lights, headlights and running lights. I have blinkers and brake lights. I checked the harness from the main harness to the rear harness and that all the connectors are reading grounded out, besides one is powered. So I think its a ground somewhere in the main harness i missed. Anyone know what or where i messed something up or could of messed something up? Thank you guys!!
If it matters its a 1967 Camaro RS with factory AC and gauges and center console. Anything is appreciated Thank you again.

Last edited by 69-Pace; Sep 26th, 17 at 07:31 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 17, 07:39 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

I merged the two back into one thread for continuity Jayson. Did you get the wiring diagram out and look at each sub system?

Disconnect the intermediate harness that runs from the drivers kick panel under the dash to the rear. Once disconnected do the front parking and headlights, and turn signals work as expected?

If yes then reconnect the intermediate harness. Does that kill the lights?

If yes look for any pinches or other dead shorts in the run as it goes tot he trunk area.

If you have a power probe device you can send power from it to each socket while it is disconnected, or you can make a long extension cord from the battery, positive to the socket lead and negative to the lamp housing case. If you can activate the lights by shunting power to them direct the issue is again in the intermediate harness or its under dash connection. If you can't get the sockets to light this way then the issue may be with bulbs or grounds.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 17, 12:08 PM
Senior Tech
Matthew

Also make sure your “body” is grounded.
If the batt is grounded to the engine block sometimes its only grounded again at the rad support.
All are separated by rubber bushings to the body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode