horn relay - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 00, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

Question

I'm in the process of restoring a '68 Camaro convert. and have replaced the original style alternator with a one wire built in regulator. My question is what wire goes where? I have a wiring diagram, but it doesn't show enough detail. The horn wasn't connected when I bought the car, it didn't even have the relay in so I have nothing to go by. After wiring up the alternator there seems to be only three wires left that could possibly hook up to the relay. One is dark green (wire from horns), one is pink with a black stripe and one is black. All three have female connectors. I noticed there are two screws labeled (battery). Can anyone tell me how to hook this thing up? Thanks, this site has been a great help for my resto. project!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 00, 05:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Hey rusterator, The horn relay is used as a junction block for some of the hot wire supplies. the old regulator is right in the same area, too. I put a one wire on a '67 15 years ago, but the memory is kinda foggy. I'll eyeball my '68 ragtop tonight and get back to you.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 00, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Jim, hope you can help. Don't want to fry anything.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 01, 11:53 AM
Tech Team

The black wire should be the wire that runs from the horn button in steering wheel. It attaches to one of the two prongs at the bottom of the horn relay. The green wire, I believe, runs out to your horns. There should also be a red wire, which comes from the battery and gives the relay power. Mine also has a black wire that runs from the relay to a connector on my firewall. That supplies power to my Rally Sport lights, so if you don't have an RS you won't have that wire.
The red wire that attached to your original alternator is connected to the red wire that attaches to your horn relay. So basically, this red wire runs from your alternator to your battery, with a junction at the horn relay.
I have a one-wire alternator, and just used that red wire. The other wires that went to your alternator were from you external regulator, and don't need to be used anymore.
Hope this made some sense..
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 01, 01:39 PM
Senior Tech
TOM

Wink

here is a drawing i made up of were the wires go on the relay.it shows what color goes where. this is from a 69 camaro. hope this helps. http://albums.photopoint.com/j/view?...034&p=44213543
There are five colors
black/red
red
a large red
green
black

[This message has been edited by TOMSTV (edited 03-19-2001).]
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 01, 01:53 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

I was hoping to see TOMSTV wiring diagram, but I guess it has been removed...

Can someone fill in the blanks for me?

'69 Horn Relay:
Black wire (slide on connector)- from the horn button to relay

Green wire (slide on connector)- from the relay to the horns

Red/black stripe wire - ??????

Large red wire - from pos batt terminal to relay at screw in connector on relay.

Small red wire - from screw in connector on relay to ??????

Am i right on everything else?

THANKS!!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 06, 11:56 AM

horn relay

does any one have a picture diagram of the fornt end or the diagram that shows how the wires hook up on the horn
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 06, 12:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: horn relay

cmarorally68, welcome to team camaro!

The picture and description you are looking for is in a sticky called "what it is, Where it is" at the top of the electrical forum. If you search for "color wiring diagram" by user "69er", you will find some slick color pdf wiring diagrams. These diagrams are also for sale cheap in the forum classifieds.

How in the heck did you pull up a 6 year old post to put your question in?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 10, 10:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
The picture and description you are looking for is in a sticky called "what it is, Where it is" at the top of the electrical forum. If you search for "color wiring diagram" by user "69er", you will find some slick color pdf wiring diagrams. These diagrams are also for sale cheap in the forum classifieds.
I've tried this search several times and I'm not having any luck. It also looks like several of the pics in the "What is it, Where it is" thread are old/missing.

Anyone know where to find these diagrams? The AIM just isn't getting me where I need to go. I got the hot wires connected, but can't figure out what these other three prongs are supposed to have attached to them. By no coincidence, I'm sure, I have three loose plugs. Just can't figure out which one goes where. I saw someone had posted which wire goes on which prong by number (1-5), but my horn relay only shows 3,4 and 5.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 10, 11:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Never mind. Found a good pic over on the Chevelle site.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 10, 07:49 AM
Banned
Bethanne

There is some really good info on 67-69 Camaro electrical systems here:

http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 10, 08:13 AM
Guess

http://www.gvtc.com/~rlaa/

See if any of these help.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 10, 06:13 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

This may help ??? Don't mind the color lines (for conversion)

Click image for larger version

Name:	67 wiring.jpg
Views:	7518
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	17312

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 10, 12:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Beth, Joe and Doug -- THANK YOU! Those are very helpful, especially the explanations that accompany the diagrams.

I have the AIM and the wiring schematics therein, but, often, I have a hard time figuring out what I'm looking at. The AIM -- at least the version I have -- seems to lack... something... you know... what do you call them?... WORDS! There are a few, but just not enough for this rookie.

Big help -- thanks again!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 10, 02:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

They also made service mamuals for these old cars, they can be very useful!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode