Battery in Trunk - What wire size? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 03, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Question

I'm moving my battery into the trunk and installing a remote solenoid in the trunk as well. There will be a junction block in the engine compartment from which I'll be pulling power for all of the accessories. The output from the 100 amp alternator will also be connected to this junction block. What guage wire should be used to run the main power line from the battery to junction block, and the junction block to alternator output post?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 03, 04:36 AM

I used 2 gauge to the starter and 8 gauge to the block aside the old battery position. You should run all of your power requirements off the horn relay junction.

There's a very good write up on the theory and operation of the Chevy electrical system that was done by (rats, I can't remember)

...Jack Stands is his pen name. Steve, errrr, something. It was a great read. Search it out.

Rick.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 03, 05:24 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Angry

A must read is at madelectrical.com. I've spent the past few days reading about the systems and found out how much I did not know.

Daddy's Hot Rod.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 03, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Question

After reading through the MAD electrical site I put together the following wiring diagram indicating exactly what I am planning on doing. I'd appreciate any comments / suggestions on this as I'm not an electrical expert. I've indicated the wire size for all of the wires that I am supplying (ie. Not included in a kit). As always thanks for the help.

http://hobbystage.net/camaro/media.c...0306939-002404
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 03, 04:30 PM
Senior Tech

Looks like a pretty good plan. Is this going to be a street rod with a killer stereo or a quarter mile car? If it's going to be a street rod, you might consider running a ground from the battery to the block. This will help isolate ground currents so your stereo or amps don't have to compete with currents from the alternator and ignition system. I didn't see the starter engagement wire in your drawing, but I guess you're focusing on the power primarily. Looks like a good safe plan.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 03, 06:27 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Lightbulb

With a trunk mounted battery, grounded to teh rear frame, a strong ground from the engine to the body is needed. I say the body as the subframe is insulated by the body mounts. I will be using several ground straps, out of sight, from the engine to body, escpecially one near the starter.

Daddy's Hot Rod.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode