battery draining issue - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 04, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

allright, just installed an entirely new Painless harness to try to eliminate this problem, i ran the car great, driving it about 10 miles to get it home, park the car overnight

battery is dead

i dont know what to do at this point, other than disconnect the cables when i park the car, i did notice that when i took the alternator & bracket off the headers yesterday that there was a spark, rather several sparks when the bracket contacted the header/head

is it possible that there is a short INSIDE my alternator that is grounding all the way back to the battery and draining my car overnight ?

PLEASE HELP i just spent $1000 on new parts attempting to fix this issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 04, 08:35 AM
Senior Tech

To find the drain, get a test light - not a digital volt meter. Disconnect one battery cable and install the test light between the battery and cable to complete the circuit. The light will glow - how bright depends on how much of a short you have.

You then can start pulling fuses or disconnecting circuits to find the short. Yes the alternator can short circuit. Inside the alternator is what's called a diode trio. It converts the alternators AC output to DC. Sometimes, one or more of those diodes can short. Using the test lamp, you can disconnect the big red wire from the rear to isolate it. Also, you can disconnect the field power connector if you have one. If you are running an external regulator, you can disconnect that as well. When you find the short, the light will go out.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 04, 09:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

Ive had same problem years ago.
the ignition switch was bad.
painless wiring is a pain in the butt anyhow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 04, 08:04 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

I had this problem on my sons truck...turned out the guy had the wires crossed on the alternator and that was draining the juice. Used the test light trick...it really helps

Bob
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 04, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

dawg i agree, painless is a pain in the, well... you know.

the only problem with a painless was learning how to do it, if anyone has a camaro in san diego they want done with a painless harness, be my guest to stop by, i could do it in an afternoon now that i know what to look for and whats what.

as for the test light... gonna do that tommarrow see if thats the problem, for now, im just disconnecting my battery cable everytime i park it.

new problem though, i was gettin ready to move the car tonight, and the B&M shifter's neutral safety switch dropped a wire, now when i put the key into run, the car cranks turns on and wont disengage the starter....
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 04, 08:10 AM
Senior Tech

Had the same problem in my 68 327 this fall. I have the original harness however not painless. We put a donor alternator on the motor for the first start. It ran fine but overnight the battery drained. I disconnected and tested everything and once all else was eliminated I took the alt to Autozone for a test, it was dead. Now it runs great 14V at idle!

1968 Camaro Z28 clone 327 .030 over, Muncie M20, DUI coil, Edelbrock Performer w/1406 , headers, 274 cam
1963 Chevy Biscayne-2 door, 283 2bbl, powerglide, Mallory Digital ignition
1985 Z-28 LG4, Edelbrock hdrs, Lakewood control arms
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 04, 07:15 AM
Senior Tech

Have you tried disconnecting the battery? If it still drains its the battery. I had the problem and the battery had a short in it so it drained even with the battery disconnected.

1970 original owner, F41
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 04, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

i disconnect it everytime i park it, no problem with it draining, lol, i've gone through 5 batteries trying to fix this problem, but i assure you the battery isnt the issue, hell, the alternator even charges the battery, i just havent had a chance to go to a parts store and test it
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 04, 08:09 AM
Senior Tech

Why not disconnect from the alternator and see if the drainage issue goes away?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 04, 09:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

From what I've read here, that sounds like a safe bet, just do it in your garage the first time.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 04, 05:40 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Lewis:
Why not disconnect from the alternator and see if the drainage issue goes away?
Just be certain not to let that red wire touch ground. Shove a piece of rubber hose over the end of the wire when you disconnect it, or tape it up just to be safe. It's like messing with a bomb. You have to be careful so it doesn't go BOOM!

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 04, 02:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I have ran across the same thing as 69vert. Put the test light in series with the negative cable then disconnect the big red wire from the alternator and see if the light goes off. If it doesnt try disconnecting the plug from the alternator. If it is the wires on the plug then double check the wires to the terminals on the alternator.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 04, 08:16 AM

i had a similar problem with my 91. it could be the alternator. take it to a parts store, they'll test it for free.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 04, 06:14 PM
Senior Tech

Well, aonghus, what did you find out? Looks like you've been around. We're all dying with curiosity. Hopefully some of these excellent suggestions got you back on the road or closer to a solution by now.

Dave
========================
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 05, 06:19 AM
Tech Team

How bright should the light on the tester be? The only thing I can think of as a draw would be the radio memory.

67 RS,SS clone<br /> <a href="http://hobbystage.net/camaro/red/" target="_blank">http://hobbystage.net/camaro/red/</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode