Team Camaro Tech banner

67 R/S Weidro Electrical problem in dash lights

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Chris Edwards 
#1 ·
this past weekend (friday the 26th) we took the camaro out to the local car show. I brought it home from the garage where its stored to give it a bath. I also installed a new cig lighter cause mine was old and didnt work well. all went well and the car runs fine. at the end of the show it was dark. so I turned on the parking lights while finishing my conversations and getting ready to go ., my turning signal lights both stay on dim, ok so I thought i had a bad bulb, Nope all works fine. now heres the kicker, I turn the main headlights on , the R/S doors open fine and all works well from the outside. brakes, hazards, turning signals, parking lights , main lights. fine.

from the inside of the car on the dash, again , both turning signal lights light up "dim" if I hit the LEFT turning signal , the RIGHT dash turn signal light lights up, but the outside its the left... ok goofy here, and it is the exact opposite for the other side. , it worked before I installed the Cig lighter, and if any of you have ever installed one, you know that its a real pain in the rear to get to , I did have to wiggle my hand through a birds nest of wires. but they were all enclosed in the wiring harness. is there somthing thats a mess ,or has anyone ever encountered somthing like this and if so how did you fix it. I just dont want to go in there and wiggle some more stuff to mess it up worse...

Strange electrical gremlins now live in my dash assy.

------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/index.html
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING! www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/webring/webringjoin.htm !!!

See less See more
G
#3 ·
I had this same problem a while back. I forgot what I was working on at the time but I had to remove the instrument cluster. When I re-installed it, my turn signal lights on the dash were dimly lit when i turned the headlights on. I also noticed that the little red high beam indicator light was not working either. That high beam indicator light has a steel rod attatched to it. One of the screws that holds the instrument cluster to the dash, the top center one, is supposed to go thru an eye in that grounding rod and then into the dash. The first time I missed that rod with the screw. After installing it properly everything was back to normal. Of course, if you didn't have to unscrew your instrument cluster to get to the cig lighter, then none of this does you any good except as the previous poster said, it sounds like a bad ground someplace.

#4 ·
It's probably loose where the main harness plugs into the cluster, just from wiggling when you put in the lighter. Wiggle some more, or if you really feel like fixing it, pull the cluster and clean the connectors. These things get a lot of corrosion over the years. They work fine until you touch them. I replaced my tail lights over the weekend, the old ones worked fine, the new ones, nothing would light up until I cleaned all the connectors on the sockets.

#5 ·
it has to be somthing in the cluster, because I did pull it out, only to find out that it didnt come out all the way, after I loosened the screws and all , it came loose , but not out far enough for me to reach in . thats gotta be it, because like the prev post said, the High beam light is also "dim" like the T.S lights. and the entire dash light system blinks when the turning signals are on . I will take it apart and check it,. where is this grounding rod your speaking of. ?

------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/index.html
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING! www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/webring/webringjoin.htm !!!

G
#7 ·
Chris,
That grounding rod is where CarlC says. That center screw right above the high beam indicator light is supposed to pass thru a little steel rod as you are screwing it in. When you removed the screw, the rod probably moved slightly to one side or the other and when you put the screw back in you probably missed it. Remove the instrument cluster screws again and pull the cluster back a little and find that rod, one end of it is attatched to the high beam indicator light housing, and this time make sure that center screw passes thru it when you re-install the cluster. I'm calling it a rod but it's actually just a stiff piece of wire kind of like a paper clip.
Rich

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.