Man, do I have electrical problems!! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 04, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

I have a 69 that I bought on EBay 2 years ago. I have reached the wiring stage of my restoration and now I know why I got it so cheap. What a mess!! I have alot of questions but I will spread them out. First, the previuos owner bypassed the voltage regulator by using an internally regulated alternator. Simple enough except I get different readings throughout the entire car. I get 5 volts at the horn and when they work, which is rarely, they sound sick. I get between 12.5 and 14 everywhere else. Logic tells me I have a grounding issue however I dont know where to start. I have checked all of the grounds I can find and have replaced any that were questionable. I still have the same problem.

Another odd problem is that if I leave my door open with my dome light on for more than a few minutes the lens melts. I bought an original bulb from GM and one from Classic Industries so I know I am using the right one. Is this a common problem or can I chalk another one up to my over voltage.

Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 04, 02:19 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

Welcome to the board !! The problem with the horn may be the horn relay, contacts may need burnishing, its supply voltage may be low due to dirty wire terminals, or replacement is in order.

The internally regulated alternator is a good idea. Mad Enterprises has a good schematic for change over. I suggest you look for it here from previous posts using the Search function.

Now, for the horn, 5 VDC. Earlier suggestion, contacts corroded. Or a bad ground connection at the horn mounting screw, or a needed ground wire from the radiator support to the negative battery post.

Also, on the horn relay is a buss bar connecting the battery with the rest of the car. There is also a junction block next to the battery. Then lastly, the firewall plug. All these connections should be cleaned and coated with dielectric grease to prevent them from the elements.

You also might check the engine compartment for ground wires, braided wire actually, from the engine valve cover bolts to the firewall, and ground braids from the firewall to the subframe.

The dome light lens melting is normal, at least it WAS in my car, I removed the lens permanently.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 04, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

I did just replace the horn relay so I have ruled that out. I will give the others a try. Thanks for the suggestions.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 04, 03:33 AM
Guess

Here's the '69 Wiring Diagrams:
http://community.webshots.com/album/50477528WnwIuY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode