no brake lamps - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 04, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

I'm hoping someone who really knows wiring can help with this one.
I found out that the brake lamps on my 67 were out. Sure enough, my dash lamps were out as well. So I thought it would be as simple as replacing the fuse. But there is no power to that fuse! I traced the wire back to the headlight switch, and I thought the headlamp switch must be bad. I replaced it, and I had them working again. But then they quit again.

I have turn signals, just no tail or brake lamps (or dash lamps). Could my replacement headlamp switch be defective, or am I missing something?

I have a wiring diagram, which I've studied until I have a headache. But the wire to the fuse block comes from the headlight switch (so that has to be +12 right?) then goes to the dash lamps, and back to the steering harness. I have no power at the brake lamp switch either.

This is my daily driver, and my only car. I guess I'll have to run a jumper from another fuse to drive tomorrow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 04, 08:36 AM
Senior Tech

Sounds like you are chasing around 2 different problems. Brake lights and tail (running) lights are on two different circuits.
The dash lights and the dash light fuse get power from the head light switch. This part of the headlight switch gets power from the tail light fuse. So, no tail lights, no dash lights.
Try this:
Turn the headlights on.
Locate the tail light fuse in the fuse block.
With a meter or test lamp, dig in and measure the fuse clips on each side of the fuse. Scratch into them if you have to. Don't take the measurement on the metal part of the fuse, only the fuse clip. You should have 12 volts to ground on each fuse clip with the head light switch on.
Guessing one side will read low.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 04, 09:44 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

Please be sure to post the solution when you chase it down. I hit that same problem with my 67 Chevelle. Unfortunately, the light switch is so far up in the dash that I didn't want to pull it out unless absolutely necessary. Since the headlights still worked, I used 3 relays ( high, low, park ) and created a 2nd circuit to the fuse panel from the headlighs to operate the dash lights and tail lights. Since this worked fine, I have not really been pressed to trouble-shoot the original problem. The new light switch is in the trunk. I will fix it when it becomes necessary.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 04, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the help. This was the missing part of the equation: This part of the headlight switch gets power from the tail light fuse. So, no tail lights, no dash lights.

I got confused about where the power to the dash lights comes from. Further confusing the matter is I had previously checked one side of the tail lamp fuse, and had good voltage. I then pulled the fuse, and made sure it was good by checking it with an ohmmeter. Checking the other side for voltage with the fuse installed didn't occur to me.
This is especially dense since the fuse holders are all a little rusty, and I've had problems with excess resistance before.

Anyway, I'll be a little less likely to get rear ended now.

No wonder Mark Stielow always installs a new mini fuse type of wiring harness in his cars.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 04, 05:31 PM
Senior Tech

Sooo..What's the score? Did you check the opposite fuse clip? Checking the fuse doesn't count. It's the contact it makes with the fuse clip under load.
Tail and dash lights yet? Still no brakes??
Who's Mark?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 04, 05:56 PM
MJM
Gold Lifetime Member
Maurice

check the turn signal switch.. the brake lights work through that switch.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 04, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

I guess I wasn't clear. After reading your suggestion, I found that I had no power at the fuse clip on one side. Scraped the contacts, voila, tail and dash lamps.
In my previous post I was talking about what I had been trying over the weekend.

Mark Stielow builds Camaros the way I can only dream of.
Remember this one?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 04, 04:25 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by Repo Man:
Mark Stielow builds Camaros the way I can only dream of. Remember this one?
Thanks. Looks like a nice car. So your brake lights are working now?? Fixing the dash lights doesn't make the brake lights work.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 04, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Yes, they all work.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode