GEO Alternator??? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 04, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

I have a situation that leaves VERY little room for an alternator.I have been doing some research and have narrowed the choices down to either a "super mini" drag race alternator or a Geo Metro altenator. The drag race altenator comes in a 100AMP version while the Geo altenator is only a 50 AMP unit.

I drive a lot on the street, but I don't have a stereo, AC, power anything. I do have dual electric fans, eletronic ignition. Will th 50 AMP Geo altenator be enough to handle the load? Will the drag race altenator live on the street? Are there other options that I am missing?

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 04, 08:39 PM
Senior Tech
Brad

Send a message via MSN to 68CMRO
If the Geo alternator fit, you'd be fine with only 50 amps. The trouble is when you add stereo amps, A/C, heater on, lights on, etc. The stock alternator was only about 60 amps in these anyway.

1968 C10 SWB Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250\Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!....Jeez!)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 04, 12:02 AM
Senior Tech

Angry

I doubt it! The alternator rating of 50 amps is at full tilt. At idle and slow speeds it will only put out about half that.

So, some quick arithmetic on accessories.

-Dual fans 30-35 amps if there any good
-ignition 8 - 10 amps
-lignts 8 - 10 amps

So, minimum of 46amps and a max of 55amps. At idle and slow speeds you are going to be discharging your battery?

What's the problem.....depth, diameter or what on the alternator. There are other designs that have more?

Steve "Jack'stands" Jack

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 04, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

I was running a 100 amp alternator before (different engine). So I was worried about the 50 amp being enough. Like I said above I have dual electric fans, electronic igniton, timing retard, no stereo, heater, AC, but I forgot to mention I do have an electric fuel pumpand of course lights.

With this in mind, does anyone know of a car with a small high output alternator? (I think I will need at least 80amps).

Yes the dual fans are VERY good, bosch motors (the were originally on a SAAB turbo) I modified them and have been running them for years without a problem. I also like the fact that if one does die, I can replace the motor. Not to mention the price was right.

Any suggestions on an alternator? This is my last stumbling block before I can fire up the new engine. I know some of the foreing cars (Hondas) have small high output alternators, but I don't know if my pulley will fit them?

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 04, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Royce

I just got back from the wrecking yard and I pulled an alternator from an Acura Legend (with power everything). It is a Denso, looks like it will work for me.

Now I have a question, it has a lug for the battery cable and a plug with 4 wires (GM usually has two). Any idea how to connect this thing to my wiring harness? Of course I have the plug and wires, just need to know which ones I have to use and which ones need to be jumpered.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 04, 09:09 AM
Senior Tech

Anything in here? Didn't read much of it.
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...7&fpart=1&vc=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode