parking lights - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 01, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

I have a 1967 standard Camaro. The parking lights work until the headlights are turned on and then they go out. Are the parking lights supposed to be working at the same time as the headlights? If so, what might be the reason why they are not working properly? How are they supposed to be wired correctly?

Thanks for your help out there!
Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 01, 03:02 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

They could be designed to turn off though i doubt it. I dont own a first gen camaro but on my 70 they do stay on w/ headlights. So assuming that they should stay on i would first check the headlight switch. There should be marks like PL HL TL or something like that. They mean park lights head lights ect. First see if the wires are routed right. Because your switch is a two throw kind power will be on some terminals and not on others. So if its wired wrong that would explain it.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 01, 03:45 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

They are suppose to be on whenever the headlights are on. Your headlight switch probably has worn contacts inside of it. For around 20 bucks youcan replace the switch, it is easy to do. Make sure you understand that the knob is one piece with the stem and there is a metal button on the side of your switch that you will depress that will allow your knob and stem assembly to be removed from the front of the headlight switch to allow the rest of the switch to be removed from the dash. These switches were always poor quality and feel very sloppy on most Camaros by now, the wear is normal for a switch this age.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 01, 05:28 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

67 parking lights go out when the headlights come on. Thats the way they were supposed to work. 68 and later stay on with the headlights.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 Pace Car
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 01, 10:43 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

I had a 67 one time many moons ago and I agree with Mark. I remember that the parking lights did go out when the headlights were turned on. That bothered me back then. I solved that by getting a 68 and then a 69 Camaro .
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 01, 05:33 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

The standard front parking lights do go out on a 67 when the headlights are turned on. However, if you want them on at the same time the solution is super easy if you like laying on your back under your dash.

Remove the wire connector from the headlight switch in the dash. The front parking light wire in this plastic clip is the lone wire at the back of the clip (closest to the firewall). Depress the tang that holds that wire in the clip and relocate that wire to the very front end of the wiring clip (which is the slot closest to the back of the dash and will be the only open slot anyway). Then reinstall the wiring connector back to your headlight switch.
Tada! Your front parking lights will now sync up with your headlights.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 01, 05:44 AM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Hey I learned something new today. Thanks guys, I've never owned a 67, lots of 68 and 69s. I assumed (never assume!) the 67 would work the same because I thought the part number for the 67 and 68 standard Camaro light switch was the same part. Maybe it is but it's wired differently? Any thoughts on that. I'd like to know for future reference. Thanks again, soory for the bad post.
Dave
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 01, 02:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jack

I believe that a 1968 vehicle safety law is why the difference. This was around the same time as mandatory seatbelts in the cars. The lawmakers believed that with a headlight out, it was safer to also have the parking lights lit.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 01, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Question

If I rewire the lights like Bonecrusher said to do so, would that mean that the parking lights would only come on when the headlights were working? In other words, would the parking lights operate even if the headlights were not working? Just wondering...But then again, I think the headlight knob (that is pulled to turn the lights on) is 2 staged. Pull it halfway and the parking lights come on and pull it all the way and the headlights turn on. Correct?

Thanks for all the help with your advice.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 01, 04:58 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

I probably confused you when I said they would sync up with the headlights. What I should have said is they will act the same as the rear taillights. So, when you pull the headlight switch out one notch you will not notice any difference as both front and rear parking lights will come on as they do now. When you pull your switch to the second position your front parking lights will stay on instead of going off.
Your front turn signals will work perfectly also. I've been running with the wiring setup as I described for 2 years and the bulbs have not burned out or caused and premature failure of any other component. So, it is a very safe change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode