68 key buzzer circuit - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 05, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

last summer, I found out (here, of course) what the pink wire with the black stripe that was hanging loose by my horn relay did... but...

When I hooked it back up, the key buzzer would go off ALL THE TIME IF THE DOOR WAS OPEN, regardless of weather the key was in the ignition or not...

As I'm redoing all the wiring, I'm wondering exactly what makes it buzz, and when, and how.
1 drivers door only, or both?
2. key in period or should it stop if the key is an accessory?
3 As sometimes I like to play the radio while I'm cleaning the interior with the doors open, can anyone think of a way to rewire it to shut up with the key in accessory?
4. or maybe I'll just leave it disconnected...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 05, 08:09 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

1 drivers door only, or both?

I believe just the driver's door as that switch probably had the dual terminal connection (one for the dome light and the other for the key buzzer) while the passenger door only had a single terminal for the dome light

2. key in period or should it stop if the key is an accessory?

I think they only worked if the key was in the ignition and the driver's door was open regardless of whether the key was just in the tumblers or in a run or accessory position. Some worn out tumblers you could pull the key out some and it would be in the accessory position but the buzzer would stop sounding.

3 As sometimes I like to play the radio while I'm cleaning the interior with the doors open, can anyone think of a way to rewire it to shut up with the key in accessory?

You could add a basic toggle switch and a diode to where you would flip the switch one way and the stereo would power up and the diode would keep from powering up the other accessories in the car however you would have to remember to turn the switch off after you are done cleaning or turn the radio off so it doesn't drain the battery down. Also with the toggle switch and the diode you would not have to have the key in the ignition inviting idiots to try and take your ride. Times have changed and if they are in the ignition someone could come by and take the car from you while you are doing something else or when you only walk away for a second.

4. or maybe I'll just leave it disconnected...

If you have gone this far without it working you could just leave it that way

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 05, 03:47 PM
Senior Tech
Charles

the buzzer is activated by a small clear plastic block inside the steering column underneath the plastic turn signal housing. i believe it is about 1/4" square by 1-1/2" long with 2 brass tangs about 1/2"-3/4" long coming off of it. sounds like it's bent or broken and making ground. it just slips out once you get down to it. replace it or remove it. make note of how the spring on it goes on when you pull it out if you intend to replace it.

might look under your dash to see if any wires on the steering column harness are chafed or bare. could be grounding there too.

also, the drivers door jamb switch has 2 wires to it, one is the buzzer the other is the dome light. there should be a plastic insulating piece between the 2 contacts so they don't touch each other.

BELIEVE IN YOUR DREAMS
1969 SS X55 NOR added RS all NOS sheetmetal, ground up resto. 24 year project and dream. optioned out the wazoo. in one thousand pieces, and coming together finally.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 05, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
the buzzer is activated by a small clear plastic block inside the steering column underneath the plastic turn signal housing. i believe it is about 1/4" square by 1-1/2" long with 2 brass tangs about 1/2"-3/4" long coming off of it. sounds like it's bent or broken and making ground. it just slips out once you get down to it. replace it or remove it. make note of how the spring on it goes on when you pull it out if you intend to replace it.
Great info, but...I gotta 68, and my ignition switch is far far away from the steering column. tx tho.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 05, 02:26 AM
Senior Tech

Jim
Do you have the '68 Service Manual? There's a good deal of info in there on the buzzer...
Might be of help. I think that buzzer is one of those things that's kind of cool that it works but at the same time, annoying 'cause it does...

Dan
'68 Camaro Convertible

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 05, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

ya... not sure what I'm gonna do with it... got the engine compartment looking so good it bothers me to leave a wire hanging... which service manual? I have the fisher body, but ain't no wiring in there that I could find. Have an assembly manual but haven't looked for it there. or are you talking a chassis service manual (gotta get one of those)?

What I'd really like to do is rewire it so it only buzzes if the key is in and OFF...

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 05, 06:35 AM
Senior Tech

Chassis service manual - that's it.

I can copy the info and fax it to you if you have a fax. Just let me know.

By the way, how about some pics of your engine with the chrome pulleys installed!! Also, what did you decide on the fuel line?? Any changes at all??

Dan
'68 Camaro Convertible

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 05, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

sent the # via pm, and thanks much

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode