Cleaning/repairing a Radio/CD deck - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 04, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Deb gave me this nice Sony CD deck for Christmas two years ago. It's been in the car but unfortunatly, it was installed while there was work going on.

The deck won't track a CD at all any longer. I assume this is becuase of all the crap that was flying around in the car and the tracking mirror is filthy.

I stopped by Tweeter yesterday day to have it sent out for a cleaning. I decided not to when they said a cleaning was $155.00, minimum!!! (Could be more.) That represents almost half the cost of the CD deck.

Does anyone know of a reasonable service for cleaning head units? Local or internet/ship it out based?

Or, any advice on doing it myself?

Before I spend a buck 55 *minimum* on a repair, I'll buy a new Apline and just replace the Sony.

Rick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 04, 10:03 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

There are soem lens cleaner kits out there ... Even Radio Shack and Walmart will carry them and, certainly, some the stereo store. This may work. Also, you can try the compressed air kits like you would use for photograhy equipment. And, CRC makes a QD Electronic Cleaner ( make sure it is the can that says quick drying .. protects sensitive electronic equipment ) that you might try if you have the deck outof the car and you want to take the top/lid off ... This spray leaves no residue ... These are some inexpensive options you can try prior to spending big bucks on new unit or repair of existing unit ...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 04, 10:07 AM
Senior Tech
Steven

Oh, I forgot to add... CRC also has electric motor cleaner ... this IS NOT the cleaner I am talking about ...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 04, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

I'll try the QD Electronic Cleaner - thanks.

I guess I have nothing to lose and everyting to save.

Rick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode