How to test tach?? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 03, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Got my new OER repro tach today, how can I bench test it to make sure it works? I only have 30 days to return, but the car will be down much longer, so there has to be a way to bench test prior to install.
Thanks,
Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 03, 07:03 PM
Senior Tech

You'd need one of two things. A) an accurate signal generator of some sort or B) a frequency counter. The signal generator could be used to generate a known frequency signal for the tach which could be verified on the display. The frequency counter could be used to measure the frequency of a running engine and translate the result into a tach signal. Although, you'd have to protect the frequency counter from ignition spikes. For a V8 motor, RPM = Freq(Hz) * 60 / (Ncyl / 2). An AC power line could be used as a signal generator if you know how to do so safely. 60Hz AC would generate a 900RPM signal. You would need a resistor network which would limit the voltage to the tach to a half-wave-rectified voltage of less than 30 volts peak or so.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 03, 02:45 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

You can do a quick hook up to a running car, preferably to a points type vehicle. No need to bolt it down or anything. Just a couple of wires. You might compare the reading to a known good tach while you are at it.

-Mark.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 03, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys....Dnult, I consider myself somewhat technically inclined...aerospace wise atleast...but I had to read your response 3 times and I'm still sitting here saying how the hell am I going to do that? [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img] So to make it simple I am going to trust that it is new and install it as is.

I am still amazed at the knowledge present here...I'll just go away and play with my helicopters now...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 03, 06:23 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by sherr20:
...but I had to read your response 3 times and I'm still sitting here saying how the hell am I going to do that? [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]
Sorry about that, I was trying to compromise between giving an over-view and a dissertation. I'm sure I could have done a better job.

-dnult

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 03, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

No probs, I just realized I dont have access to any of the things that you mentioned, and I would probably burn out the new one trying to test.
Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 03, 02:13 PM
Senior Tech

Stingr's advice is the way to go them. It's a version of method B - using a frequency counter. Except the reference tach becomes your frequency counter. Calibration of a tach isn't all that critical anyway (+/- 50 RPMs or so). So as long as it's wired and setup correctly (8cyl vs. 6cyl etc.) it should be plenty close.

-dnult

Dave
========================
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 03, 07:58 PM

If it's done Stingr's way. From my limited knowledge of tachs, I'm assuming there should be +12V, -coil, and ground... Anyone know which post is which on the OER repro tach?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode