No electricity - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 17, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Reade

Question No electricity

Good evening fellow Camaro lovers, ha..
Was driving car today, for no apparent reason, all electrical power stopped, car stop running, radio quit and just glided on its own power into parking lot, won't take a boost off vehicle or battery pack, no lights, ignition, radio, etc, Any ideas? fuses? Battery completely dead?
Thanks ..

1967 Camaro Coupe
383 Stroker, 3000 stall, 750 Holley, 350 turbo trans, 373 12 bolt posi, cal tracs, hounds tooth and floor console..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 17, 06:16 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Garage
Re: No electricity

My first thought is the battery. Check it first. After that is ruled out, check the power junction box on the radiator support.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 17, 06:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Check the bulkhead fitting in the engine compartment opposite the fuse block. If the bolt is not in and it pops off you are dead in the water.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 17, 06:33 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Sounds like a blown fusible link at the battery. Check the wire for blistered or burnt insulation. If so replace that piece of fusible link.

If you added any electrical loads (radiator fan, electric fuel pump, a Giga Watt stereo amp, or even a death ray for when you get frustrated in traffic) to the car you may have to increase the amperage on the fuse and the size of your car's wiring to handle the extra power.

Big Dave
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 17, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Reade

Quote:
Originally Posted by arocars View Post
My first thought is the battery. Check it first. After that is ruled out, check the power junction box on the radiator support.
Am going to take battery out of other car tomorrow and try that, if that doesn't work ,what do I look for at the power junction box .
Thanks for your help.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 17, 06:41 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Had that happen at near midnight coming home from the track at night on a dark road with no streetlights

Found it to be the battery ground at the motor was loose.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

Last edited by DOUG G; Oct 18th, 17 at 03:36 AM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 17, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Reade

Thanks everybody for ideas..
Drinking beer and watching hockey,
Will check tomorrow ..
ctcz28 likes this.

1967 Camaro Coupe
383 Stroker, 3000 stall, 750 Holley, 350 turbo trans, 373 12 bolt posi, cal tracs, hounds tooth and floor console..
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 17, 07:19 PM
John

Garage

Junction terminal on the radiator support. all power to the car comes from the batt to the terminal and then to the buss bar on the horn relay.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 17, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Reade

Brothers from a different Mother,
Checked all your suggestions, all seemed ok ..put in a different battery and the car fired up immediately ..
I did note when removing the battery the negative terminal connector was a wee loose, could that have been the reason for the battery being dead? It is only a year old. Is there anyway to make sure the alternator is working properly..
Thanks again.

1967 Camaro Coupe
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 17, 08:08 PM
John

Garage

Yep. A loose cable will go it every time
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 17, 05:07 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

Garage

When cars are slow to start or need jump starts, my flawed, but semi-reliable test for alternators and batteries is this; at night, with the car running, turn the headlights on and rev the engine. If the lights noticeably brighten and fade with the revs, then I look at the alternator. If there's no real difference to the brightness of the lights, then I look at the battery.

Doing a search on here, I found: https://www.camaros.net/forums/19-ele...d-battery.html
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 17, 11:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reademan View Post
Brothers from a different Mother,
Checked all your suggestions, all seemed ok ..put in a different battery and the car fired up immediately ..
I did note when removing the battery the negative terminal connector was a wee loose, could that have been the reason for the battery being dead? It is only a year old. Is there anyway to make sure the alternator is working properly..
Thanks again.
That seems strange to me. after the car is started, the car is powered via alternator. So, if you were chugging along, the loose cable would not have been a factor.

please correct me if I'm wrong

angel

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 17, 12:36 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by arocars View Post
When cars are slow to start or need jump starts, my flawed, but semi-reliable test for alternators and batteries is this; at night, with the car running, turn the headlights on and rev the engine. If the lights noticeably brighten and fade with the revs, then I look at the alternator. If there's no real difference to the brightness of the lights, then I look at the battery.
I remember that as being kind of a test but the other way around. Reving car up alternator puts out almost 15v and at idle at battery 12v, alternator/regulator is good. If no change your on battery voltage, alternator/regulator problems.

Get a voltmeter and measure at battery terminals and see if voltage increases to just under 15 when reved up. Poking around with a voltmeter to check things will tell where your issue is if it wasn't the battery.

I had an issue with my car that drained new battery overnight, got running the next day with a a jump, same thing day after. Turns out it was a bad external regulator drawing 1.2 amps with nothing turned on in car.

My '69 RS Primer driver project
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 17, 12:38 PM
Senior Tech
Jimmie-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelglo View Post
That seems strange to me. after the car is started, the car is powered via alternator. So, if you were chugging along, the loose cable would not have been a factor.
I believe that was true at one time but I'm not sure with all the computerization in cars today. I know that my 69 will run with the battery disconnected but have never tried it on my newer car. You didn't specifically say what car that you were driving. You just said "my car".

Probationer.....Sad that you had to waste money on a new battery and it looks like it was just a loose/dirty terminal. The battery terminals are the FIRST place to look when you have no power and if it was your Camaro, it is strange that it just shut off. A bad cable would keep it from starting but shouldn't cause it to just shut off.

Jim's '69

68 SS 396 4 speed A/C Bought New Sold 1976
68 350/350 A/C Bought 1978 $700 Wrecked
69 350 4 Speed Bought 1988
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 17, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Agree with Fried Okra
First place to check is cable clamps to post interface.
Battery post tool is used a lot

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode