Can Ignition be ReKeyed - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 18, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Probationer
John

Garage
Can Ignition be ReKeyed

Hello,

I had to install a new ignition in my 67 Camaro. Can I have it Keyed to my old key? Any recommendations on how?Don't want 3 keys in my pocket.

thanks, John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 18, 10:12 AM
Senior Tech
Jon

Re: Can Ignition be ReKeyed

Go to a locksmith or your local Chevrolet dealer parts department and they can explain it or handle it for you. You may have to buy a new lock cylinder, but it's absolutely doable.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 18, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Probationer
John

Garage

Thanks Jon

John,
67 Camaro
460 BB
TH400
10 Bolt PT

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 18, 12:07 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Instead I would key it to your door and trunk lock so that one key unlocks everything. Verify your trunk key opens all the locks first (booth doors, glove box, and console) before you do this, but I much prefer one key per car.

Big Dave
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 18, 01:41 PM
Team Member
Ray

Garage

Not sure but I think the ignition cylinder has more wafers, so doors, trunk and clove box would have to be keyed to ignition. Would have been better to have it done before ignition was installed. To re key it now means removing it again.
If your old key is very worn the problem is that it will never work right with new wafers.
I have a locksmith friend who has been doing this for fifty years. When I got my car 10 years ago he made me 2 extra sets of keys. The ignition works half the time and only one door works with it and the trunk works every time. The problem is the old wafers and new keys don't like each other.

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching

Last edited by rgwiz; Mar 1st, 18 at 01:54 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 18, 02:06 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwiz View Post
Not sure but I think the ignition cylinder has more wafers, so doors, trunk and clove box would have to be keyed to ignition.
I recall old police vehicles had locks that all took the same key, but the key was cut on a trunk key style blank. I also recall my 72 Vega station wagon having only one key, and it worked the ignition, the doors, and the rear hatch. Ask your locksmith/parts guy. I'm totally into easy if they can make it happen that way.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode