Starting issue on 69 - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By DjD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 18, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Mark

Starting issue on 69

Just got my car 2 months ago.. in winter. the guy has a starter switch under the dash.. called it a "dead man's switch".
So when i picked the car up, the key worked fine to start it.. then over the winter.. i would try and start the car and the key would turn on all the dummy lights but not crank the starter. if i used the dead man's switch i could start the car.. I charged the battery.. next time i tried it the key worked again... and kept working for several weeks. i just took it in to have the automatic trans swaped for a 4 speed.. now i can't get the car to crank the starter unless i use the dead mans switch.. i replaced the battery.. same problem.. so it wasn't just low voltage. Everything works and runs fine.. it just won't ever crank the starter with the key. Rookie mechanic.. I did look at some threads here but thought maybe the particular situation could be looked at by itself. any ideas on what to check / replace?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 18, 04:14 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage
Re: Starting issue on 69

Auto trans cars have a neutral safety switch at the shifter. It will not allow the starter to turnover unless the shifter is in park. I would bet the "dead man's switch" is wired inline with the purple neutral safety switch. On manual trans cars, a switch is located at the clutch pedal which locks out the starter unless the clutch pedal is engaged. I believe this wire is purple as well. Check to see if this switch was installed during the changeover to 4-speed. Make sure clutch is engaged when you try to start the car. Confirm the switch is wired to the neutral safety (purple) wire.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 18, 05:11 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

If the dead man's switch is a 2 wire (1 in, 1 out) switch, just remove it and connect the 2 wires together...
DT likes this.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 18, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Mark

I made sure the manual trans guy did not do the clutch switch.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 18, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Mark

The Dead Man's switch is like hardwired or straight to the starter. If I were to just connect the wires behind that switch to starter would be turning all the time.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 18, 02:21 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

It sounds like the switch is more of a push-to-start button that bypasses the neutral safety circuit, or at least that is how it is functioning. When I did the 4-speed conversion on my 67, I had to connect the purple wires off the neutral safety switch to complete the circuit to get it to turnover. I would imagine this was not done on your car and that is why it does not turnover with the key. I'm curious why the last owner installed this switch. From your description it doesn't sound like it was added as an extra layer of security.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 18, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Probationer
Mark

Thanks for the replies guys... but let's forget the tranny swap.. they didn't work on and off before that change.. the switch is a push to start button..
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 18, 07:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

I think what confused everyone is you called it a switch, and not a starter button. Big difference, and goes down a different path. I would try to contact the previous owner and ask why the switch is there. If no luck, remove it . there is no need for it if your switch on the column is working properly.
Second nite... Why would you not want the neutral safety switch on the clutch pedal? Sounds crazy to me. That's an accident waiting to happen. I have seen it happen on others cars, and it was never a planned event. Start in gear and go through a garage, or over a person. 100% dangerous, and preventable.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 18, 07:21 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Garage

Ditto to the previous post....

There have been several terrifying threads on here about cars being accidentally started in gear and going through garages and mashing arms and legs! Makes you think. That neutral safety switch could save you or somebody some agony!

68 Camaro Convertible Turbo Thrift 250 Powerglide
63 Pontiac Catalina 389 Roto Hydromatic
84 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 18, 01:22 PM
Probationer
Steve

I have had the a same problem on my 1967 Camaro 350 for years. The only way I can get a consistent start every time is with a wired in push button starter switch. Over the years I have replaced the starter, ignition switch (several times) during restoration both engine, headlight and interior dashboard wiring harness were replaced. The neutral safety switch replaced and verified electrically. All grounds in electrical system verified good. A few years ago someone recommended I check the ground connection on the forward firewall headlight harness area for a good ground. That ground connection was not very good I cleaned it up and thought that had fixed it but the problem eventually returned. I also verified and replaced the horn relay. The problem has been ongoing for years luckily it not a daily driver, I am out of ideas on this one.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 18, 05:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

Agree with the above - check your main ground wires and starter connections. I had a "Hot Start" push button in my car back in the day. My starter solenoid would get too hot from the headers and not engage the starter. I had to wire in a system like what you have to start the car sometimes, but only when the car was hot. Could be a bad starter solenoid but sounds more like a loose connection

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 18, 09:39 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

Many years ago I had intermittent no-crank starting issues. For the most part, my electrical system is original. I tried troubleshooting but the issue remained. I installed a Painless Hot Shot Relay Kit and haven't had an issue since. The relay boosts the amperage to the starter during cranking. At the time, it seemed like a cheaper and easier solution than trying to replace wiring and components.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode