CS130 Alternators - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old May 6th, 18, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

Garage
CS130 Alternators

Aside from the amp ratings, is there a difference in these alternators or cases? I realize the high amp output ones could have a slightly bigger case ... but I'm not even sure of that.

I have found one rated at 85 amps for a very reasonable price. The 85 amps should still be plenty for my Camaro with no fancy power consuming amenities.

s-l1600 by Larry Madsen, on Flickr

Obviously I don't want to make the purchase if there is likely to be a problem.

Any input appreciated.

I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old May 6th, 18, 04:59 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: CS130 Alternators

A 10si or 12si 3-wire is an easier and cleaner swap if you want an internal regulator - I would not mess with CS130 unless I needed the extra output they are capable of.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old May 6th, 18, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
A 10si or 12si 3-wire is an easier and cleaner swap if you want an internal regulator - I would not mess with CS130 unless I needed the extra output they are capable of.
Maybe I am missing something, but (per the other thread) the wiring is exactly the same.
Link to info from "other thread"
Technical Reference #14

My concern is the SI (which I now have) is too big to mount the way I want it.

This is what I am looking to accomplish.
209L by Larry Madsen, on Flickr

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old May 6th, 18, 05:42 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

I believe the CS's are larger...To mount in that location, you may need a mini alternator ?
https://www.summitracing.com/search?...i%20alternator

Quote:
In stock trim they are available in the following outputs:

CS-121: 61-74 amps

CS-130: 85-105 amps

The 121 and 130 are visually nearly identical, and share the same design, but the 130 is slightly larger than the 121. In fact, the numbers 121 and 130 denote the outside diameter, in millimeters, of the stator ring.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old May 6th, 18, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

Garage

Doug G, It's an Alan Grove 209L bracket and is specified to use the CS130 alternator.

http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/S...Short_Pump.htm

There is an Alan Grove bracket for the SI style alternator I have, but it hangs the alternator low enough that the cross member is in the way.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old May 6th, 18, 07:47 PM
Senior Tech
Rufas

One thing people aren't aware of, the mid to late 1980's Astro and Safari vans had a close to 100 amp CS alternator that doesn't require any other wires to it but the battery cable, all connects are INSIDE the alternator case. These vans also use voltmeters, not charge lights, I would think there would need to be a sensor wire to the CS alternator for vehicles with charge lights.

Now, I have three of these vans, two with factory 5 speeds, one with a TH, all with V6, and I got tired of the CS alternators always failing, so, I did the unthinkable, 14 years ago, I wired up jumper wires from BATT to Number 2 on SI alternators, so they didn't need outside input to run, and swapped them onto my vans (they all have voltmeters, not charge lights).

Not one of them have failed to work perfectly for the last 14 years I have had them on the vans. I also have 12SI alternators on all sorts of makes of vehicles here, mine, friends, even all the county/city work vehicles.

To me, the CS alternators are not good. My preference.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old May 6th, 18, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

Garage

Thanks Dave ray.

I am hoping the fairly low draw of the Camaro will help it out with longevity and it's placement will have it feeling a lot of airflow.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old May 6th, 18, 10:41 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Madsen View Post
Aside from the amp ratings, is there a difference in these alternators or cases? I realize the high amp output ones could have a slightly bigger case ... but I'm not even sure of that.

I have found one rated at 85 amps for a very reasonable price. The 85 amps should still be plenty for my Camaro with no fancy power consuming amenities.

s-l1600 by Larry Madsen, on Flickr

Obviously I don't want to make the purchase if there is likely to be a problem.

Any input appreciated.
I researched this quite a bit when I did the last motor swap, and I went with a CS130 because the accessory mounting configuration worked best for me, and I found a lot of guys have had success with them (and some have not).
I found a lot of guys had issues because the CS is sensitive to incorrect wiring apparently. I donít know, not an alternator expert but Iíve had good luck with mine, going on 3 or 4 years now. Obviously not my daily driver though.

And as I understand the CS130 is all the same essentially other than amp rating and mounting configuration/ clocking. Iím using Alan Groves brackets too, upper pass side though. I think they spec mounting configuration of the alternator.
I did go with a Powermaster alternator however

I also switched from driver to pass side mounting so I had American Autowire make a front harness that bypassed the regulator and routed it to the pass side, with the correct plugs etc. it turned out amazing, like it came from GM.

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old May 7th, 18, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

Garage

68rs406 Thanks for the input.

I did purchase the alternator and also a pigtail plug for it.

As noted I am running the SI style now and the wiring is there and 100% functional now. Per the diagram the wiring seems to be no different other than two of the four wires on the CS130 plug not being used.

My car had a lot of really ragged wiring going on. I have been purchasing new wiring harnesses for M&H and had intended to rewire the entire car.

In the mean time while working through other aspects of the project I have also worked through and rewired a lot of the problems myself. I still may rewire the entire car, but as of now with everything working flawlessly I'm not in any rush.

I to realize some folks will have problems with various things and move to something different ... I also realize there are millions of these CS130 alternators out there providing dependable service.

Thanks again.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old May 7th, 18, 08:55 AM
Senior Tech
Darin

I've been running a CS 130 I bought from Tuff Stuff for a couple of years. I used the March mid mount pulley set up, looks good works great.
I used the remote voltage sense wire run back to a dash Ign,hot connection. so it's always putting 14+ volts out at the fuse box after powering two fan relays, headlight relays, ECU, MSD..., Also use the diode if you're running tan MSD box.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old May 7th, 18, 11:33 AM
Senior Tech
Rufas

I fail to see the issue/problems created by "incorrect wiring" on my formerly CS Astro and Safari vans, as thee is only ONE wire, the battery cable, going to the alternators back then, and, now, with my SI alternators.

I got tired of the 17 CS series alternators my 3 vans had failure issues with, and all that for the 5 or so years before I converted them to their 3 current SI alternators, of which, not one of them has done anything but work as they should in the 14 years they have been in place. My friend has a 1989 Astro, he kept his CS alternator, or, alternators, 9 of them in the last 20 or so years he has owned that van. I know, I can change an alternator on an Astro or Safari van with V6 in less than 5 minutes, if the engine is cold without removing the engine cover.

I put 12SI's on everything, including my neighbor's Ford Courier pickup. He is a Ford guy all the at, drives him nuts I have GM vehicles. He went through 3 stock Japanese alternators in 6 months, all rebuilt's. He drives big trucks, told me one day his alternator was out, AGAIN. We drove it across the street to my place, and he left for 3 weeks. I took a $5.00 junkyard 12SI, put a $6.00 parts store rebuild kit into it (bearings, brushes), built brackets for it from metal he gave me as scrap, and installed the 12SI. I also chained the hood closed, because I know how upset he would get if he even thought there was a GM part on his Ford. a month later, I took the chain off the hood. He was calm, and now, all his hot rods and other fun cars have 12SI alternators on them, not one has failed. He now insists on getting a 12SI for all his fun cars he has.

As said above, some have great luck with CS alternators, some don't.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old May 7th, 18, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave ray View Post
As said above, some have great luck with CS alternators, some don't.
I'll be testing my luck on this choice.

I really dislike my current setup.

DSC_1712 by Larry Madsen, on Flickr

The adjustment is at full extension and I have very little relief because the alt case hits the tall valve cover when relaxed. Plus it is just way to far out and up for my taste.

209L by Larry Madsen, on Flickr

If I can mount it low with the Alan Grove bracket it should be easier to deal with on belt installation and adjustment and it will provide a cleaner, simpler appearance in the engine bay. It will put the alternator just about where the power steering pump would be.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old May 7th, 18, 01:01 PM
Senior Tech
Rufas

I agree with the issue of the mounting where it is now. The bottom brackets are nicer to work with. I build my own brackets from scratch, so, no issues with my stuff, but not everyone is capable of doing that.

Best of luck with your CS, sir.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old May 8th, 18, 10:36 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave ray View Post
I fail to see the issue/problems created by "incorrect wiring" on my formerly CS Astro and Safari vans.
Two words, ďAstro vanĒ, lol.

I know, I heard it from folks when I did the swap, but I heard good reviews just as often.
Not that it justifies it, but GM put millions of those alternators in millions of models, something must have worked. Or they have on helluva scam going with CS130 aftermarket.....

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old May 9th, 18, 09:58 AM
Senior Tech
Rufas

When I was going through the CS alternator debacles, I wasn't the only one. I had my local NAPA store very near, and I was not the only person with extensive CS alternator issues, they sold lots of them. Those self energizing CS alternators were used not only on Astro/Safari, but, every GM vehicle that had a voltmeter.

Let me know when you find a better small van, please. I am about to finish my 4th one, factory 5 speed, locking diff, full power, and a nice 350 V8 in it. It, too has an SI alternator, no CS for me, and NO problem with Astro/Safari vans.

The 3 I own are nice vans, one has 250K, one has 190K, one has 321K miles, with only things like U Joints, suspension bushings, ball joints needing attention, and one clutch. I don't have any fear of failures in any of them, and would not hesitate to climb into one and drive it all the way across the country.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode