New Voltage Regulator - Results - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By dave ray
  • 1 Post By dave ray

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 18, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
New Voltage Regulator - Results

I bought a electronic regulator for my Belle, '67 RS, Standard Motor Parts P/N V103T
Found one on eBay for $17 and free shipping.
It arrived yesterday and I installed today - transfer the noise cap from old reg.
Voltage measurement at battery: (just cranked her up from cold start, should have been after driving several miles)
Before 14.60-14.85 volts @ 2000-2500 RPM
After: 14.4 1to 14.5 volts, if this high, always constant at ANY RPM.

Just a warning, be prepared to have extra hardware as wellnuts will not make it through the process of unscrewing the bolts.
1/4-20 or 1/4-28X 1/2 inch with flat & lock washer and nut.
Just helping out another Camaro driver.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 18, 06:43 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: New Voltage Regulator - Results

If one needs a spare, I have my old one in the garage....pretty sure its not original, but free to good home (for shipping costs)

Glad to here you got yours working again Everett

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 18, 08:51 AM
Senior Tech
Rufas

If this is the electronic regulator for a remote regulator alternator, it is right on target for voltages, 14.20 to 14.60, same as the internally regulated alternators produce.

The point regulators turn the rotor in the alternator into an electro-magnet, work as on, off, on, off to regulate charge, that is why head lights go dim, bright, dim, bright with the early point regulators.

The later internally regulated alternators, and early ones with the electronic regulator added, simply capture and hold the rotor on as an electro-magnet, and drop excessive volts to ground. Alternators live a lot longer with the capture and hold electronic regulators.
Everett#2390 likes this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 18, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Thank you Dave, for the tip.
Agree on all accounts

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 18, 11:38 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

While I have had only one minor issue with my 50 year old original external points style voltage regulator on my 68 Chevy II Nova. Turns out someone not knowing what they were doing adjusted it internally to where the headlights were VERY bright and it burned up the aftermarket radio as the voltage a lot of times was close to or a little over 18V when the motor was running. Once I adjusted the regulator, it has performed very well over the last few years since the adjustment.

I found it interesting that it's been said that the stock point regulator alternators have headlights flickering up and down, and up and down and I never noticed this on my car so I decided to do some tests.

Below is the video I took the other day on my 1968 Chevy II Nova with the original 50 year old external voltage points regulator and the 50 year old 37A alternator, as well as it's original 50 year old wiring except for the main battery cables. I also have installed reproduction T3 headlights that when I tested them years ago produced 65.5 watts with a 13.4V input while originals I had and did not put in with the same input voltage only had 48 watts.

The video:

And here is a chart of my results from the video:

I can see from my chart from the test that the voltage does vary but I'll comment on what I see.

When the car was started and running, the voltage was on average 13.7V between the times of 1:45 and 1:49 and while the voltage between these 4 seconds varied 0.02V, I REALLY doubt this would affect anything major.

If you then look at the time of 1:50 the voltage did sag going down to 13.41 due to the load of the headlights high beams as well as the additional load from the parking lights being added to the electrical system.

At 1:51, or one second later the voltage was increased to 13.57V coming up from the lower 13.41V abd then at time 1:52 the voltage went to 14.04V and then a second later went up an additional 0.02V to 14.06V

Now with the load of the headlights being on high beams as well as the parking lights being on, the voltage DID eventually drop to 13.87V but it was after 30 seconds and I NEVER measured no peaks or dips that would then allow me to see flickering in the headlights output.

As far as anyone saying that once the point style regulator is replaced with a solid state style that this will stop the oscillating of light intesity up and down, this could be true and I have not changed out my old style points regulator to see how much of a change would occur with an electronic regulator. My original points regulator is only allowing on the one test a variance of a high of 14.06V down to a voltage of 13.87V over the time of 30 seconds. The whopping fluctuation was 0.19V and to me this very small variance of voltage over 30 seconds and will not have my headlights flickering. Granted the headlights will be dimmer with a lower 0.19V but while I have not done the math, if it reduced the headlight output by let's say 2 watts and the headlights at the higher wattage are putting out 65 watts, then the change to me between 65 watts down to 63 watts I will never see. Double this up since I'm running two headlights and now if the wattage went from 130 watts down to 125 watts, I probably will never see this difference. It's just not any type of large change.
Another observation of my chart from the test is when the car is running the points system is supplied with a battery voltage of 13.71V to 13.69V and then once the headlights and parking lights are turned on the battery voltage increases to 14.06V to 13.87V which to me is good as now the headlights instead of possibly getting 13.69V, they are getting a higher voltage and the charging system is doing what it should with providing the additional power for these things.

A last observation of the chart does show a dip when the headlights and parking lights are first turned on and this is due to the delay of the voltage regulator sensing this additional load but then as quickly as it can, it brings the voltage back up.

I'm not wanting to start any arguments but to provide some good information but one also has to look at what happens when a voltage regulator get's changed. We remove a connector on the old points regulator and then plug it into a new one and when this happens better or worse connections can occur from this action. Could this weigh in on the results ?. Yes it can just like I have unplugged headlight connectors and put them back on only to have sometimes the headlights become brighter, or stay as how they were or be dimmer or not functioning at all. The old style points style regulators also have contact points inside that after cleaning and adjustment can then start working better than how it was before or the performance could be worse.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 18, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Thank you, Jim, for the insight and I agree with your results.
Granted, my mechanical would need a little adjustment via temperature/voltage chart.
Motors Manual, I believe, has, from the chart, a 130F reg cover temp and adjust for 13.8 volts with no load.
Back when there was full-service gas stations, I was one, always checked customer's battery water and asked previous starting events.
If answer was customer needed a jump start, and battery water level was okay, then reg set too low.
If battery needed water, then reg set too high, boiling out water from overvoltage.
Today, Economics 101 - $60 for a mechanical or $17 for electronic - I just wanted to find out and witness the effect.
Too bad I can't take the guts from new and put into the old chassis - keep the patina.

'
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 18, 08:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

I am running a solid state with a old cover. The reason I changed was the old points style sometimes get stuck .Could be the climate , or just a fluke, but many here in VA have had the same problem.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 18, 12:34 PM
Senior Tech
Rufas

So much easier to change over to the electronic regulator and put the Delco cap on, and get it over with once and for all, solves so many problems. We no longer have to waste all that time doing every test we can find to try to debunk what actually happens, rotor turns into, and stays an electro-magnet, lights don't flicker, charging is leaps and bounds better, don't have to work on setting a regulator, it just works right from the start, alternator lives a lot longer, no confusion in any of that.
Everett#2390 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode