Pertronix Ignitor 2 Issue - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 18, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage
Pertronix Ignitor 2 Issue

Have a 68 Camaro with a 327. I am currently running an Accel dual point racing distributor (37000A). Also have a Accel Lazar 2 CD boxI (49002) and Accel super coil (140001). I thought I would update to a Pertronix ignitor 2 setup (9AC-182A) for the added benefits it offers. The instructions are pretty straight forward > use the correct rotation plate, make sure the cam magnet is seated correctly red wire to ignition on (using ignition blade on fuse box) and run the black wire to the (points terminal) on the CDI box. Hit the key and nothing! I contacted Pertronix and they confirmed the wiring was correct. They want me send my distributor to them to test, but it would require also pulling the CDI box and coil so they could accurately duplicate my scenario. I really do not want to unwire and send all my parts to them. I was hoping someone may have had a issue similar to mine and could supply some input on a possible fix or how to test it.

In their instruction they mention to use the secondary rotation plate for CCW (counter clock rotation) under the CW (clock wise)plate, but when installed together the pickup eye sits above the magnet ring? I removed it and aligned with magnet, but still no luck. I tested both ways just to be sure. Placed the points back in and it fires right up?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jimbo68
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 18, 08:37 AM
Senior Tech
Rufas

Re: Pertronix Ignitor 2 Issue

Welcome to the wonderful world of PerTronix, there are better ways. I'd leave the points in place, they end up being seriously less stressed firing the ignition box, than firing a coil all by themselves. Good luck with it.

One other test I would suggest, at the IGNITION terminal on the fuse box, rtest to confirm hot full battery voltage in both RUN AND START key positions. Some few, not all IGN terminals are only hot in RUN. If that is what it is, run a separate wire from the starter solenoid terminal R, to the PerTronix power in wire, along with the IGN wire, and try it again. End is, you want to confirm volts at both run and start key positions. If you have that now, no need for the separate wire from the solenoid, problem is elsewhere.

Last test to see if the ignition system works with the PerTronix would be to run an alligator clipped jumper wire between the power in wire on the PerTronix, straight to the battery, turn the key and try to start it. If it lights, look to the above test, no power to system in start.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 18, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage

Thanks Dave!

I will test as you suggested above. Really lost confidence in this Pertronix unit now! I will most likely keep the duel points. But I need to see if I can get it to work first.

Jimbo68

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 18, 02:15 PM
Senior Tech
John

If you get it to work...great! But keep that set of points in the glove box!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 18, 08:40 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

I upgraded to the Petronix solution a few months ago and had no problem. I wired it in the exact same manner as you described. I think the one thing I did differently is I had the distributor tested on a Sun machine by a speed job prior to installing back into the engine.
ColoradoZ28
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 18, 12:27 PM
Senior Tech
Rufas

LUCKY! PerTronix ISN'T the solution, they are the problem.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 18, 06:06 PM
Senior Tech
Morgan

Garage

I have had 3 pertronix IIIís and 2 crane xri units without a failure, yet

69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 automatic [email protected], 1.95 on f70-14 polyglas F.AS.T. Race June 2016
69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 4spd [email protected] 1.93 60ft on F70/14
PSMCDR 2014
71LS6 vette [email protected] PSMCDR 2012 SOLD
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 18, 07:57 PM
Senior Tech
Rufas

Extremely lucky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode