Electric fuel pump questions - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 18, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Electric fuel pump questions

I guess since an electric fuel pump question pertains to electrical, this is the correct forum...

There are times where my 67 will sit for over a month without it being started. I'll end up cranking for a long period of time to get fuel into the Edelbrock carb. It will eventually fire, and then runs great.

So I've decided to replace the mechanical fuel pump and go with an electric fuel pump. Being able to turn the key to on, waiting a few seconds for the carb bowl to fill, then giving the gas pedal a push or two to squirt and set the choke is a better solution for me. Here's where I could use some advice/help.

Do I mount the electric fuel pump at the rear, and "draw" the fuel from the tank and "push" it forward to the front, or should I mount it at the engine bay and "pull" it from the tank to the carb?

I'm thinking its best to put a block off plate where the stock fuel pump is now; or should I leave it and have it PLUS the electric fuel pump?

About 4 to 6 pounds of pressure needed by this electric fuel pumpso the carb bowl floats are good with it?

What is a decent electric fuel pump to use with the Edelbrock 4 barrel? Runs great with this carb, I just want to avoid the long crank times when it sits, and all the fuel evaporates out of the bowl.

If I could afford it, I'd convert to a fuel injection type setup, but I don't have those funds right now.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Never argue with an idiot; they'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 18, 02:04 PM
John

Garage
Re: Electric fuel pump questions

I would not put an electric pump in. Noisy and prone to failure

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 18, 02:34 PM
Team Member
Darin

I always see electric pumps mounted in back by the tank.
unless I had a straight up race car I wouldn't want an external pump, like John said they can be "loud". My buddyís Challenger has some $50 Holley electric pump, itís obnoxiously loud.

Maybe a fresh mechanical pump? seems odd that it would take more than a second or two cranking even after sitting for a month or so. I would think a good mechanical pump could pull fuel in 2 or 3 seconds even if the entire fuel line from the tank to the carb was just installed. thatís what makes me think the diaphragm or something in the pump is tired and bleeding off or just not working well.

Iíd only do an in tank electric pump if I was ditching the mechanical one.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 18, 04:04 PM
Senior Tech
Ken

Run both... Wire the electric up with a swith and relay, turn on only to prime. Run off mechanical the rest of the time...

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
Everett#2390 likes this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 18, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Good suggestion, PartsGuy

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 18, 04:51 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsguy57 View Post
Run both... Wire the electric up with a swith and relay, turn on only to prime. Run off mechanical the rest of the time...

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
will the mechanical suck thru the electric?

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 18, 05:01 PM
Senior Tech
Brad

I don’t think so! How load is the exhaust sounds dumb but on my 68 it had a pretty deep and load exhaust. Once I started the car I couldn’t hear the pump anymore. Also an electric fuel pump needs to push. You want to mount it as close to the tank as possible!! I also had a external fuel filter between the pump and tank. You want it filtered before it goes through the pump.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 18, 05:26 PM
Senior Tech
Brad

Very sorry I meant loud 🤪
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 18, 06:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Get a one way (i.e., no return line) in-tank electric pump if you want to go electric and make sure you have a pressure regulator (and gauge?) to keep the fuel pressure correct for your carb. In-tank will not be noisy like an external pump.

'69 Z/28, Lemans Blue/White Stripes, DZ302, Tremec Magnum, 4.10, Procar Elite Seats,
Custom Upholstery, Dynatech headers, 17" VWW V45's, 235/45, 275/40, C5 Front Brakes
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 18, 07:22 PM
Senior Tech
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
will the mechanical suck thru the electric?
In my experience yes...back in the early 80ts when nitrous was very new and most were ("burning") up motors with the accepted tee in the fuel line( one to carb other to fuel solenoid) my brother and I ( we were in high school) ran separate fuel pump in the rear and flipped a switch when we planned to run nitrous. We used a micro switch mounted to the carb to trigger the nitrous when wanted.. Lol. No one was the wiser and we were fast for high school boys in the early 80ts. Mine 57 chevy two door hardtop low 12s at the strip, him about a tenth better at the strip 65-mustang. (Both still have our cars) mine by far quicker on the street due to better weight tranfer this his mustang. Fun days horsepower not easy to come by like it is now....
Never lost a motor, won the vast majority of street taxes and used lots of bottles of nitrous...
We ran holley blue pumps for sure and I believe holley race mechanic pumps on the engine( or the like)

Last edited by partsguy57; Jun 18th, 18 at 07:37 PM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 18, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

In doing some more research, I found several "how to" sites on going with an electric fuel pump. All stated that the electric fuel pumps need to be mounted in back, as they are designed to be "pushers" and not "pullers". Holley makes one for engines that are relatively stock (7 PSI, and flows 97 GPH), which would fit my application.

I'm not running eth free gas, so the fuel seems to evaporate out of the carb bowl withing a month. I remove the air cleaner, and look down the carb, operate the throttle, and see no fuel squirts until I crank the engine over for several seconds to get the bowl filled up.

As to noise, that will not bother me with the pump mounted out back, and as others stated, once the engine is running, the exhaust note will drown out any pump noise. The Holley model I researched mentions it does not require a pressure regulator, and has a long life as long as its mounted below the low point of the gas tank, and in a vertical position. Seems like a good idea to turn the key to the on position (where I'd wire the electric pump to circuit wise), wait a few seconds for the fuel system to do its thing, then start the engine.

Never argue with an idiot; they'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 18, 10:32 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

I like the electric fuel pump on my one car and have the holes of the bracket for the pump big enough to put in a fairly soft rubber grommet and then put fender washers on each side of the grommet faces and then use a nut and bolt going through all of it but then used a nylon lock nut to where I would barely squeeze things tight on the grommet and then there is some room for it to vibrate around and float somewhat loosely on the grommets. I then also used a rubber fuel line on the input and output of the pump to further isolate it and to reduce noise getting transferred into the steel line.

I also have it on a toggle switch wired to an ignition 12V source to where I can shut the pump off and let the motor run on what is in the carb and then when it starts to die, pump the gas pedal to get what might remain in the accelerator pump pushed out and then not have to worry about a lot of fuel possibly going into a stopped motor while the car sits.

I have my electric back by the tank and use one of the old style fram HPG1 canister type filters before it. The mechanical pump was removed and the push rod taken out and a blockoff plate was installed to cover the hole.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 18, 07:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Electric fuel pumps have been in new fuel injected cars for a long time. They run them in the tank with a return line. This keeps them cool and quiet. Your best option would be to install it like the newer cars. Second best would be to mount it outside the tank on rubber mounts with a return line. I ran a Holley Black for the engine and Holley Blue for the nitrous for years. They were very loud. I think the main reason they were so loud was the mounting. The metal bracket on the pump was mounted directly to the sheetmetal in the floor of the trunk. There was a very thin piece of rubber between the pump and the bracket. Not enough to quiet the pump. My new fuel system uses twin Aeromotive A1000 pumps mounted on rubber feet, mounted to a plate that bolts to the trunk floor. The difference is huge! I can barely hear the main A1000 pump when I go to start the car. Here are video's showing the difference.

Old Holley Black pump outside the car

Old Holley Black inside the car

New A1000 outside and inside the car

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter

Last edited by Steve69SS396; Jun 19th, 18 at 07:50 PM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 18, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Kevin

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I will go the route of an electric pump conversion, as cranking the engine for several seconds is something I don't like doing. I'm not home each week to crank it, and this Eldelbrock performance series carb I have does not have a vent tube that allows me to fill the bowl manually.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 18, 09:52 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

How did you make out with the electric pump? Did it solve the starting problem? I've been dealing with the same problem for years and was wondering how it worked for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode