console wiring - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By 69-Pace

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 18, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Big daddy

console wiring

have a 67 that iam changing to 200r4 from 4spd. Also adding console I ordered I ordered wiring for no gages. I want to know where under dash the large connection goes. looks simple,but don't know if cars that were not auto have a connection for new harness to go.

67ssclone 383 4spd 3.73 vintageair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 18, 04:13 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: console wiring

There are actually two harnesses you have to get to add gauges to a factory warning light vehicle. You can make your own and buy all the other parts.

First harness is the so called "Conversion" harness that creates the service stub under the dash to which the actual "console" harness attaches to.
The Console harness is matched to your transmission option - Automatic or Manual and powers and illuminates the gauges. 68 and 89 use the same saw-toothed gauge pack. Only 67 used the tri faced gauges.

The Conversion harness usually comes with a gauge "sender" to replace the temperature "switch" in the block that triggers the warning light.
The Oil switch is replaced with a gauge oil fitting and line. The old oil warning light is relighted and re decal as the low FUEL light.
The GEN warning light is replaced by the battery gauge.

Some companies sell the conversion as a kit with everything you need behind and under the hood. Most do not include the gauges and the 67/68 FUEL instrument decal.
130fe likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 18, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Big daddy

my car has no console gages, the harness I got is just for console lighting and n/s switch to shifter,but has plug that looks to connect under dash. where does it plug in?

67ssclone 383 4spd 3.73 vintageair

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 18, 06:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by carhodge View Post
my car has no console gages, the harness I got is just for console lighting and n/s switch to shifter,but has plug that looks to connect under dash. where does it plug in?
On a 69 the under dash harness is different if the car has a console or not. The standard wiring doesn't have a place to plug in the console harness, It wouldn't be that difficult to extend the necessary wires to the console harness if originality was not a concern. IIRC with out gages you have NNS(2 purple wires), the b/u lights (2
green wires) and dash lights (1 gray wire).

Jeff
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 18, 07:00 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Arrow Re: console wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by carhodge View Post
my car has no console gauges, the harness I got is just for console lighting and n/s switch to shifter,but has plug that looks to connect under dash. where does it plug in?
Yes that's the console harness. You now need to buy or fabricate the "Conversion" harness I mentioned in my post above. The conversion harness creates the "service stub" connection that the harness you have connects to under the dash by the radio.

There are a few threads here on Team Camaro referencing adding console gauges for both 67 and 68/69 style gauges or aftermarket equivalents. Personally I buy the conversion harness already made and in the kit form that gives you the sender, oil fitting and all the instructions since you have to go through the bulkhead connector on the firewall. But plenty of electrical engineer minded folks have made their own and got the job done.

Here are a few 67 specific threads to look at:
https://www.camaros.net/forums/gtsea...20installation

Brian

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 18, 10:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Post Re: console wiring

Like Brian says, if you are not going to be having gauges, I would just make my own conversion harness. Just integrate them into the factory harness, pretty easy to do. The harness that they sell to "add" a console to a non factory harness works well but you can save your self some time and money by doing it your self.

Use 18 awg pink and green for backup lights
Use 10 (or 12, cant remember) AWG purple and purple with with stripe for the NSS switch
and add 18 AWG for lighting (if you are going to have it).

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 18, 10:38 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Yes - Just to clarify you can purchase just a console conversion harness, no gauges, just console for both automatics and manual transmission from the usual places but it is rare. AAW and Lectric Limited make them. Ricks and Classic have them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode