NSS Help Needed - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By 1968camaro{
  • 1 Post By 1968camaro{

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 18, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Steve

NSS Help Needed

The prior owner moved the shifter from column to console - apparently some of the wiring didn't transfer over and the car will start in any gear. I see the big purple wire off the ignition and I was hoping to pull that off the ignition and then splice in the NSS to see if it worked - however I could not pull it out. So now I could cut the purple wire and then splice in the NSS, but if for some reason that doesn't work, then I would have to get the purple wire re-connected with a wire nut or whatever because I don't think I could get a soldering iron up in there. Would appreciate any guidance on this one. Thanks.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 18, 04:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS
Re: NSS Help Needed

Follow that purple wire to the steering column around the brake pedal and look for it to be spliced into a purple wire with a white tracer. Open that splice and extend those wires to the NSS on the console shifter.

Jeff
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 18, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Steve

Thanks Jeff.

I followed the purple wire from the ignition - over the steering column it gets bundled with about 20 other wires... I have access to it again on the side above the parking brake and I peeled off the elec tape and can see the purple wire there, but no sign of purple stripe.

Should I cut the purple wire above the parking brake and splice in the NSS at that point?

Steve

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 18, 02:25 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

I don't know how it is in your Camaro but on my 68 Chevy II Nova with the inline and three on the tree manual transmission, I have no safety switch originally installed.

If you have traced the purple wire down to a point you can cut it and extend the wires to a safety switch, then this is fine but I would verify it is indeed the right wire and what you can do is either like you did with tracing it down visually or before you cut it poke a test light into it and verify it only shows power when the key is in the crank position and dead in all other key positions. Once you cut it, try seeing if the car will crank over and if not then you should have the right wire.

Just extend the wires with the same gauge new wires and do not go to a smaller gauge wires. The factory wires are sized how they should be for what they were intended to do.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 18, 03:14 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

If right now you are able to start the car then the two wires he has you searching for at some point connect to each other - normally one purple wire would be on one side of the switch and the purple with white stripe would be on the other, shifter in neutral (if factory shifter) then you start. In 69 the whole thing was moved and incorporated to the new locking steering column.

Both 68 and 69 NSS for automatic and if equipped manuals can be defeated when installing aftermarket shifters or rerouted.

Okay so you say the PO moved from column shifter to the console. Is it a true 68 shifter? I assume because you say starts in any gear that we are talking manual transmission. If so the original NSS if so equipped was on the column. I suspect the wires you are looking for are close to the steering column "Harmonics" connector. The leads would not be that long so it should be very close to the steering column.

If the car was original factory Auto transmission the page you want in your copy of the 1968 AIM is 307 for UPC MB1 A4, if she was factory manual transmission, try page 335 UPC M35 A12 I think is also for manuals even if the page says auto. Some 68's did not have NSS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 18, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Steve

Thanks for all the input.

I heard from the PO and he says it was a 3 speed column manual converted to an automatic console - he said he didn't recall the neutral safety switch.

I am able to see the group of wires before they go behind the fuse box - I can see the purple, but no purple stripe - based on this and the comments above, I don't think it had an NSS

I'm going to test the purple wire and make sure thats the right one and then splice in the NSS... will report back on how that goes.
yellow69RS likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 18, 06:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

I never considered that it was a manual previously in my post. Jim's advise is spot on.

Jeff
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 18, 10:20 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Like I said, on my 68 Chevy II Nova, it does not and never had a safety switch. When I first got the car I assumed it did until I hit the key one time with it in gear and without the clutch pedal pushed in and the car lurched forward. Luckily I had my foot on the brake as well as having the emergency brake on and I quickly quit cranking over the motor. I sat in the seat and said WOW, wasn't expecting that.

At first I thought someone had gotten into the wiring so I got under the dash and looked and looked and there were two terminals on a switch on the topside of the column by the firewall that had nothing plugged into them and this switch was something I was used to seeing on other GM cars as this switch housed the reverse light switch as well as a safety switch and I looked real close at it and saw no scratch marks on it that would indicate something was plugged into it at one point and then removed but the contacts were pristine so I found the purple starter solenoid wire off of the ignition switch and traced it down and lost it in the loom but never found any evidence of a safety switch.

One of the problems we deal with with older car's is who knows sometimes how it was originally or what might have been changed and while I'm leaving mine as is, it might be best to put in a safety switch. On all of my other cars this switch is in place and working whether it is an automatic or a manual transmission.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 18, 10:22 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968camaro{ View Post

I'm going to test the purple wire and make sure thats the right one and then splice in the NSS... will report back on how that goes.
Take pictures and post them up so that if others need to do this, it might make their work easier.

Jim

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 18, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Steve

Good news from Orange County....

- Tested the 12g purple wire (orange arrow) and it lit up when I turned over the engine... so this was the right wire.
- Bought the Console Shift Conversion Kit from Classic (WR-2819) since I had already had the console harness in place.
- Also bought insulated Disconnects from the auto parts store... cut the purple wire and crimped on the connectors - and this plugged in to the end of the harness (second picture).
- Held my breath and then re-connected the battery and it started up in park... turned it off and then shifted to reverse and drive - didn't start... had to get it in just the right spot in neutral and it started. Exhaled and then took the car out for a drive.

Thanks for the help in getting this resolved.
Next up is the cig lighter, radio and heater controls.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camaro - 1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	219301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camaro 2.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	219303  
yellow69RS likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode