Amp Location? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 18, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Aric

Amp Location?

I am having a little trouble finding a place to mount my amp, I have seen them mounted in rear package tray. Is there a reason not too? I have been told not to because of theft and also told not to worry about the heat because the amp will generate more heat than the sun would heat it so that is not an issue.

So can I mount it like this?

Last edited by CM2RAS; Jul 14th, 19 at 04:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 18, 07:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Re: Amp Location?

If you dont mind looking at it there, why not? Itwill bake to some degree on the right day. What year is your car? Is the wiring original? Whats the current draw of the amp? Where are you tapping the power?

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 18, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Aric

Sorry about that it's a 68 SS, the wiring is a new AAW kit, I am not sure about the amp draw but I have the supporting installation wiring kit to go with it and I think it is using a 6ga power supply wire. I will be pulling power from the battery.
3d cad likes this.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 03:51 AM
Kevin

I have a 69 and put my Amp behind the ash tray https://www.camaros.net/forums/31-con...o-install.html But I think 68s have less room back there then 69s!

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 03:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

I have one of mine bolted to the trunk side of the seat back panel. I would rather see you keep it from baking in the sun - they get hot enough on their own!

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 06:51 AM
Team Member
Darin

I think it would be pretty simple to mount under the package tray out of site, or on the seat back in the trunk area. I don't think I've seen one in that location on any car, If I did I would wonder WTH was the installer was thinking, was he just lazy?

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 07:54 AM
Senior Tech
Kip

I have my sub box in the trunk. It is mounted between the upper rear shock attachments and sits directly below the speaker holes that are in the package tray. The 12" fires facing the back of the back seat. I mounted my amp to the sub box on the opposite side of the box, facing the truck. Out of sight, out out of the way, plenty of air for cooling.

1967 SSRS
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 09:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ben

Garage

i'd mount in trunk on seat back frame or bottom of package tray. i have one mounted on bottom of package tray to power infinity 6x9's and another mounted directly to sub box powering the sub woofer. the one on the bottom of the package tray is a bit of a pain to service if you're ever messing with speakers and such. i pretty much have to get in the trunk laying on my back to get to everything. if i had to do it again i would mount on the seat back. i was trying to be cute keeping it hidden, but then later i added the sub box and all disguise was lost.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 09:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Isn't this what trunks are for?

I prefer to hide everything when I put aftermarket stuff in/on my cars.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Aric

Well to answer WTH was I thinking is crawling around in the trunk is a PITA so I am NOT lazy and I have owned it since 1985 (yes my high school hot rod) I have spent the last 12 years putting this car back together.

The seat back does not have an area for all 4 mounting points and I don't want to hang it by just 2, yes I can make a bracket for the other 2 mounting points but again it is PITA to crawl around weld anything in the trunk. As far as mounting it under the package tray I have bee told to NEVER mount an amp upside down due to the way they exchange heat and mounting it upside down will cause failure. And before you ask about the flat upper area in the trunk floor that is not an option due to a mini tub kit and the cross member support that runs across it.

I have seen amps mounted in this location but it seams like the heat would be an issue, but I have also been told that the amp creates so much heat that any heat from the rear window is insignificant in comparison. I found that hard to believe so I am reaching out the experts and fellow Camaro enthusiasts.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 05:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Aric, do you have a quadralink in there?

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Aric

Detroit speed mini tub kit, so there is a cross member and support that run across the upper part of the floor for the shock mounts. If I can upload the pic I will show you.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 05:49 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM2RAS View Post
Well to answer WTH was I thinking is crawling around in the trunk is a PITA so I am NOT lazy and I have owned it since 1985 (yes my high school hot rod) I have spent the last 12 years putting this car back together.

The seat back does not have an area for all 4 mounting points and I don't want to hang it by just 2, yes I can make a bracket for the other 2 mounting points but again it is PITA to crawl around weld anything in the trunk. As far as mounting it under the package tray I have bee told to NEVER mount an amp upside down due to the way they exchange heat and mounting it upside down will cause failure. And before you ask about the flat upper area in the trunk floor that is not an option due to a mini tub kit and the cross member support that runs across it.

I have seen amps mounted in this location but it seams like the heat would be an issue, but I have also been told that the amp creates so much heat that any heat from the rear window is insignificant in comparison. I found that hard to believe so I am reaching out the experts and fellow Camaro enthusiasts.
What I have done is reach into a trunk with a tape measure and see how tall and wide of a board I can cut to attach to the existing metal on the car and when doing this have this board larger than the footprint of the amplifier.

Now I put those measurements onto a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood and cut it to the dimensions I need.

I then reach into the trunk and put the board up against the metal and see where I can drill through it to where I can have 4 or more screws holding the board to the metal behind the seat.

I then take the board out and drill the 4 or more board mounting through holes into the board to allow the screws to pass through them and push through these holes.

I then take the board out of the car and lay the amp on the board and mark and predrill holes for screws to mount the amp to the board but do not attach it as yet as some of the screws to attach the board to the car may be covered.

To give the board and install a more finished looking, I sand the edges of the board and paint it.

Once it's dry then I climb into the trunk to hold the board where it needs to be and then attach the board with screws to the metal behind the seat. Depending on the screws, I might have to mark and predill holes in the metal or may be able to use self tap screws to make their own holes.

Once the board is mounted, I make all of the electrical connections to the amp as well as setting the gains or any switches on it to the proper spot and then place the amp in position to allow me to put in the four screws into the predrilled holes in the board to hold the amp solidly to the board.

Once this is done, I grab some wire ties and detail the wiring and cover it with split loom tubing to finish it off.

I have also, in some installations, taken a board larger than the footprint of the amplifier and actually found a decently flat spot on a trunk floor or on the back inside cab wall of a truck for example and then attached the board with liquid nail and let it dry a few days and then mount my amp to it. If later the game plan changes I can pry the board off, remove the glue and not have to worry about holes in the metal surface.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 05:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Can you mount it vertically on top of the crossmember? I have a quadralink and put my electric up there. Managed to only get in the trunk once. Getting in was easy......................

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Aric

[IMG][/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode