Tail lights, headlights, brake, lights and rear turn signals not worki - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By flat tire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Andrew

Tail lights, headlights, brake, lights and rear turn signals not worki

Hi I’m new to this I just bought my 1967 Camaro. While I was looking at everything with the previous owner all the lamps worked perfectly. Once I got it home and drove it around for a bit I started having some issues. Basically I got in the car and started to ride around and my buddy behind me told me there were no tail lights or brake lights my turn signals started not working once I got back home as well. My high beams work and reverse lights work along with my front turn signals and dash lights. I checked the sockets and they seemed brittle so I ordered a new pair for the tail lights. I also ordered a new brake light switch. I have yet to install all of those things but I was wondering if maybe someone could shed some light on what’s going on. Thanks in advance

1967 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 03:28 PM
Senior Tech
kevin

Re: Tail lights, headlights, brake, lights and rear turn signals not w

check all your ground connections!
69-Pace likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Andrew

Where would be a good place to start checking I figure the new sockets will help on the connection in the tail/brake lights is there somewhere else it connects to a ground that may be corroded?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 04:27 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Andrew the weak link in all our first generation Camaros are the grounds used for lighting. The common grounds for rear lighting can be in the trunk, or the actual lamp housing making contact to the body. So you will have to check all of them for loose, dirty or missing grounds. This all assumes you have a original factory or factory style harness.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Andrew

Thank you 69 Pace is it possible that my sockets (possibly being the originals) could have failed and aren’t properly grounding out the lamp? I also will try and sand/polish the contacts the sockets make to the housing as there’s some paint left from the previous owner painting the car. Thank you for the guidance I’ll try that as soon as possible.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 06:31 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew25dean View Post
Thank you 69 Pace is it possible that my sockets (possibly being the originals) could have failed and arenít properly grounding out the lamp? I also will try and sand/polish the contacts the sockets make to the housing as thereís some paint left from the previous owner painting the car. Thank you for the guidance Iíll try that as soon as possible.
Yep. Check the taillight sockets first.

See Post 10 for a recommendation on replacement sockets https://www.camaros.net/forums/19-el...-gremlins.html
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 18, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Andrew

Thanks a lot guys I really appreciate the help I’m going to try everything on Sunday and see what I get I’ll keep everyone posted!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 18, 08:17 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Andrew, If you don't already own a multi-meter get one. Here's a link to a thread Roger posted with a video explaining the meter functions.
https://www.camaros.net/forums/19-el...ultimeter.html

Al

my 67' build thread:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode