No power to console gauge lights - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dusty Diamond

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 18, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dusty

No power to console gauge lights

Hey all- I've been troubleshooting why the lights won't come on in my tic toc tach cluster on my 1968 camaro. They've never worked for me. I went ahead and removed the cluster, and found both the clock wire and the secondary ground wires were broke. The gauge was still grounded via the strap ground at the top that connects to the high beam indicator light.

What I'm realizing now is that I have two issues. One, is the circuit board has a fried section just after the first lamp connected by the 12V pink wire from the harness. I'll obviously need to get a new circuit board asap.

The second issue worries me a lot more. At the fuse box, where the mini fuse is for the INST and LPS, there is no power to either side of that fuse. My test light doesn't go on when the lights are turned on or off. I'm not really sure where to go from here at this point. I have a wiring diagram, but I'm not sure I'm reading it correctly.

------

Also, labeled on the attached photo are two connection points labeled ?#1 and ?#2, these are currently not connected to anything. I'm not finding a reliable wiring diagram for the tic toc tach, so I'm not sure if those are grounds or missing connections?

I've read through the sticky which helped me diagnose the main concern here of no power going to the gauges from the fuse box. Any advice on how to proceed is much appreciated!

-Dusty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 18, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dusty

Photo finally attached for reference:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BC5275F3-83EC-4B8E-9D84-9D4DF590155D_1532469458632.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	219771  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 18, 03:34 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: No power to console gauge lights

Dusty, You may find some helpful info in this old thread. I'm not sure if it applies to your questions/issues.
https://www.camaros.net/forums/19-el...-question.html

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 18, 05:45 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Dusty here are a few observations on your post. The LPS lug on the fuse panel is DIMMER controlled for auxiliary lighting needs in aftermarket radio, compass whatever. So turn the lighting knob clockwise before until the final click over to the stop which would turn on the interior lights. This simple act may fix your issue as the dimmer may be all the way counter clockwise which is instrument lights OFF.

As for the printed circuit board - yeah toast and they are readily available and easy to replace. Just make sure you buy the Tach version of the 68 board but read on first before you order.

As to the wiring - If the vehicle was factory original Tic-Toc-Tach then all wiring would go through the plug into the circuit board. If it was added after, the PO would have had to either switch the circuit board to the tach version, and then switch the wiring into the plug around to service tach and clock. Or the old circuit board was left on, and then they wire the tach and the clock direct.

We have a few articles in the archive with diagrams on the wiring for factory and how to modify or how to direct wire the tach signal from the coil and clock. I can dig out my notes if you can't find them on-line but try the dimmer first for the lighting issue.

Ive attached a 68 non tach plug wiring so you can see what you have. The other photos are from a thread here where the owner just modified the current non tach plug. Here is the text from that post for these photos...
Quote:
I looked for this info for a couple of days and couldn't get a clear picture so I thought i would post my wiring. I have a Painless harness and purchased an aftermarket tic-toc-tach for my '68 because it looks good and is also cheaper then changing both the speedo and tach. I also purchased a new printed circuit board.

There were no wiring instructions with the tach. So I hooked the purple tach wire to the isolated post in the 4 o'clock position and the other end to the negative side of the coil. Result - clock only works when the key is on and the tach registers about 1K depending on the accessories that are on, lol. Time to figure out what’s what.

The first picture shows the green temp gauge wire that was basically passed through the pin location where the tach wire for the coil should be. I cut it and attached the purple wire from the negative coil post. The water temp gauge wire is joined back together and crimped, soldered and insulated. The stud at the 12 o'clock position behind the tach is where the coil should be attached and where that pin connects to. The last picture (sorry its fuzzy) shows the correct wiring with the stud at the 4 o'clock position wired to a constant 12V source for the clock (the instrument cluster is upside down). The pink wire that is cut in the pictures is for the fuel gauge which has been re-routed to the console fuel gauge.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	68 connector pin out.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	219781   Click image for larger version

Name:	68 IMG_0391-1.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	219783   Click image for larger version

Name:	68 IMG_0382.JPG
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	219785  

Name:	68 IMG_0388.JPG
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	219787  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message

Last edited by 69-Pace; Aug 23rd, 18 at 06:56 PM. Reason: typo
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 18, 05:54 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Another thread but the pictures are missing

Quote:
Green becomes the Tachomerter signal wire (goes to coil.)
Brown becomes full time Hot for the clock.
Yellow is switched power for tach.
White is ground.

Black = ground
Gray = cluster light power
Brown = tach
Dark Blue = right turn signal
Tan = e-brake/diff. switch
Light Blue = left turn signal
Yellow = low fuel warning
Pink = 12V

I used those colors since those are the wire colors that are in the plug/harness...

Also, the other circuit (not grounded to cluster housing) is actually a power lead trace (pink) going to the sockets with the other side of the light socket going to the associated "switch". In other words, when the e-brake switch grounds, the BRAKE light in the dash is grounded. When the temp. sensor switch in the block (non-gauge cars) is closed and grounded, the light in the dash is grounded. Etc., etc. This works for the Low Fuel Light in the gauges cars, too.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 18, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dusty

Excellent information everyone! I will dig into this further once the new circuit board shows up. I had no idea there was a dimmer option!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 18, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dusty

Just wanted to post a followup on this one. My conclusion is that I probably had the dimmer switch turned "off" all along and thus, this was causing the issue, along with no power to the fuse box. That being said, there was a fried portion on the back of the printed circuit board so if the dimmer/light switch was turned on, it wouldn't have worked anyway.

I put a new circuit board on the back of the gauge cluster and checked all grounds etc.. and lo and behold, I have lights again!

Thanks all for the excellent input in tracking this down. I would have probably never figured out that the light switch could be turned to trigger the gauge lights on and off, so thank you for that.

-DD
69-Pace likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 18, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Good deal !
Atta Boy

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode