Loose Battery Clamp... - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By SOA-Nova

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 18, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dale

Garage
Loose Battery Clamp...

I have a yellow top D34 Optima Battery that I just got. After switching out the batteries, I was unable to tighten both positive and negative as good as I would like. Seems to be either the wrong clamp or maybe just old. Without getting the spring clamps ends. What are a good set and length needed?

67 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 18, 08:29 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Re: Loose Battery Clamp...

If with the old battery the clamps were tight but now with the new one, they are loose, or not able to be tightened like they were before, could the the posts have been machined or molded smaller or on the bottom side of a tolerance ?.

What kind of ends are on your cables now ?. The reason I'm asking is sometimes installing car audio I have used some aftermarket gold plated brass replacement cable ends and they sometimes did not tighten like I would like as they were either poorly made or due to the material they were made out of were a lot harder to try and shrink the hole by tightening a set screw or allen screw on them. Also on these brass type terminal ends, once tightened they don't spring back to how they were when new and sometimes I have had to take the bolt out to spread the clamp open some and then reassemble things.

Keep in mind too, that the battery posts are of two different dimensions to where if the wrong terminal end is used on a particular post the terminal may bottom out and not be able to be tightened or the hole shrunk anymore limiting the clamping force onto the post.

Touching on the spring eye end cables, I bought some for my 68 Chevy II Nova as well as a new battery and have had them on and off a few times but on those they are limited to the clamping force and if opened up too far even once, they will not spring back to where they were before creating now a looser connection. Luckily the battery posts I have seen are tapered some and this might help if the clamp is lowered onto the post as it then is larger and might allow for more clamping force off of the battery cable ends if they too are lowered onto the posts.

Jim
Larger Dave likes this.

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 18, 08:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Sounds goofy, but I have seen battery post sleeves. They slide over the battery post to take up the difference in size. I have seen them at Advance auto. I have never used them, but if they make them, it must not be that uncommon.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 18, 09:26 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

I use these from Taylor wire to avoid these issues. I also use a stainless steel 3/8-16x3/4 inch hex cap to secure it and torque it to the specs listed in the Service Manual which specifies the negative terminal should be torqued to 12 ft lbs and the positive terminal to 71 in lbs.

This terminal offers a better electrical connection, and if you had a lead acid battery instead of a sealed gel cell, it prevents corrosion.

Big Dave
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 18, 10:22 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Moving this tread to electrical from the paid sponsor "Vintage Car LED Headlights" vendor forum.

Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 18, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dale

Garage

I just ordered some new cables for both + & -. So I'll keep you posted on how the fit is when I get them.

67 Camaro
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 18, 12:31 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigman87 View Post
I just ordered some new cables for both + & -. So I'll keep you posted on how the fit is when I get them.
We also like a lot of before and after pictures so post them up also.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 18, 12:45 PM
Senior Tech
kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77 keith View Post
Sounds goofy, but I have seen battery post sleeves. They slide over the battery post to take up the difference in size. I have seen them at Advance auto. I have never used them, but if they make them, it must not be that uncommon.
no it don't sound goofy! I make my own out of sheet lead. you can actually repair a battery post by trimming of the melted/damaged portion of the post to a flat surface and adding a sheet metal screw into the existing post. then take a piece or cardboard and wrap it around the existing post. then have something you can melt wheel weights in and just pour the hot lead in the mold you made and immediately pour some water on the cardboard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode