Coolant Temp Sensor Problem - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By 69-Pace

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 18, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd

Coolant Temp Sensor Problem

I have 2 coolant sensors installed now. One on each side of the engine. The passenger side handles 2 fan controllers and the drivers side has been misused to run the dummy light along with a gauge which from my understanding has to be matched to a sender and not piggybacked on another.

I ned to seperate the dummy light from the guage so the both act approprietly but how do I do that? Are these ports put in at manufacture time and I am restricted to the 2 I got or is there some other place /port that I don't know about or is it a matter of having another port machined in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 18, 06:05 AM
Team Member
Don

Re: Coolant Temp Sensor Problem

If you have a gauge why do you need a dummy light?

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1957 Buick Caballero project
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 18, 08:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Gauge and light are 2 different senders. If you are dead set on having both, you can get a thermostat housing that has provisions for what you are asking for.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 18, 09:05 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Exclamation Re: Coolant Temp Sensor Problem

Yeah two different beasts. Gauge needs a "Sender" Warning lights use a "Switch." As Keith stated you will need another port to have both and at the sound of it you have used all other water jacket ports, so the radiator hose fitting is the only other option. No one to the best of my knowledge makes a combined sender/switch unit and if they did having the right specs for both to be calibrated right is questionable. Many senders from various manufacturers have wide variances of outputs.

As to having both, there is something to be said for the immediacy of a WARNING light verses the slow sweep of a gauge, especially a gauge not in the center dash by something else you monitor frequently such as speedometer or Tachometer. So having both covers your bases.

Larger Dave likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Todd

Similar problem. I need an extra coolant port. I don't understand using the thermo housing as a port. You would have a dry sender until the thermostat opened correct? That doesn't make sense to me. Can't you get a splitter and use one port for both senders?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 04:08 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

The only air you should have in the coolant system is in the radiator, and yes the elbow will have fluid in it all the time until the coolant system is drained, and heat transfer through the case to the engine block will get you readings even when the thermostat is closed. Most people would use this to signal fans controllers, not a gauge for accuracy.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 11:22 AM
Tech Team
Donnie

Use a brass "Tee
" in the piping. If one has to be that accurate then use the leg of the Tee that reads the same. You should get water flow in both legs and should read accurately.

Camaro Donnie
1969 RS/SS Black 4 Speed Camaro Coupe
390 Gears with 410 CI small block
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 11:23 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityguyUSA View Post
That doesn't make sense to me. Can't you get a splitter and use one port for both senders?
What I did to preserve the dash light when I added a temp gauge. It's a brass "T". I don't have temp port in my head, just intake manifold. Works fine
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 10:10 PM
Senior Tech
Lorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
The only air you should have in the coolant system is in the radiator, and yes the elbow will have fluid in it all the time until the coolant system is drained, and heat transfer through the case to the engine block will get you readings even when the thermostat is closed. Most people would use this to signal fans controllers, not a gauge for accuracy.
So is the thinking that the head would be more accurate than the inlet neck and that the neck would likely read higher?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 05:17 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyT View Post
So is the thinking that the head would be more accurate than the inlet neck and that the neck would likely read higher?
Sensing ECT the diff between the 2 locations is negligible.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 07:43 AM
Senior Tech

FWIW I used my IR temp gun at the base of the "T" fitting that goes into my manifold and the sensor itself and there is about a 8 degree difference. If my gauge says 170 the temp is really 178 if this is true....

I don't have heads with a temp port but using the IR temp gun I read temp at the heater hose feed at manifold and WP and those mirror what the base of m "T" reads so there is a slight reduction in what the temp "gauge" sender I have given it is about 1" above the manifold port due to the T fitting I have light and gauge senders plumbed in

Granted there is some temp "absorption" in reading the "metal" vs "in" the coolant flow...but not enough to throw the gauge or light off by much IMHO
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 19, 05:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lyle

You could get a Murphy switch gauge and run your light off of the adjustable switch in the gauge.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 19, 09:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

The thermostat housing in post 4 is the easiest , and probably the least likely thing to fail. More potential for leaks with a tee, and more potential for it to get knocked loose. Something to be said for simplicity . just my opinion.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 19, 10:03 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77 keith View Post
The thermostat housing in post 4 is the easiest , and probably the least likely thing to fail. More potential for leaks with a tee, and more potential for it to get knocked loose. Something to be said for simplicity . just my opinion.

Agree that more connections between point A & B can be more prone to leaks but in terms of sensor install.....a little Teflon tape make them pretty bullet leak proof IMHO

Op has 2 water ports to tap in but not sure if one on each head or one on intake manifold, I only have one which is on manifold. For me the standard 15 degree housing does not work with my Edekbrock intake manifold which has the one port the sender hits the upper radiator hose using fixed stat housing so I had to go to a "swivel" type (taller) which I have found none with a port and if so having the sender mounted that high front & center of the motor, to me, looks awkward and yeah more prone to hitting it when dealing with motor maintenance

So my fix to get gauge and dash light to be functional, without getting the dual switch/gauge you note, was use a T off the one port I have for the two sender types I needed (stock & autometer).

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 19, 06:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

I see your delima. Your intake should have the provision for the sender on the passanger side, just not machined. Edelbrock made those intakes with and without the passanger provision machined. The Tee works no doubt, but I personally would machine the intake it being the provision is already there. That would give a even less awquard look, and cleaner look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-06-19-09-29-20_1560951143494.png
Views:	5
Size:	411.6 KB
ID:	227725  

X-77 keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode