Side Post Battery - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 18, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Side Post Battery

The AIM, if I am reading right, switched to a side post battery late in the production year. Looks better without the ugly cables on top and I use the side post anyway on my non original toys. Any thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 18, 05:46 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Side Post Battery

Dates and switch-over are random, some vehicles based on regular duty or Heavy Duty got side post starting late March, early April 69 at Norwood, all others as time and stocks of top post ran out. I'm not sure of cut over date at the GMAD run plant in Los Angeles / Van Nuys but expect same or earlier for full cut over dates. The official service bulletin for Canada was released May 31 meaning by then 99% if not 100% switch over had been achieved at both assembly plants.

Original side post batteries had different diameter mounting bolts to prevent confusion of cables. 3/8 -16 for POS, 5/16 - 18 for NEG. Modern set-ups are the same for both POS and NEG terminals these days.

My Z11 had in the spare-parts box in the trunk a set of factory side post cables. Don't know if she came that way with those cables, but suspect yes. GM in 1971 went to both terminals being same size. She was wearing standard sized side post cables and battery at time of sale to me and under my Stewardship as caretaker she has always been side post battery and that has always been a problem - not in that the battery is bad, but as in most parts reference books at stores list the 69 Camaro as top post. Some have a little asterisks and no note like the Sears Die Hard catalog did before Sears faded away. At least my local AutoZone parts counter folks knew the change over happened and stocked the correct battery and the last three she has had were DuraLast Gold. The first battery I bought for her was AC/Delco dealer grade.

I think they are safer from accidental dead shorting caused by dropping a wrench but you can dead short a side post in the same manor. I think there is less a chance of Duh moments like resting a metal tool box, or the air cleaner cover on the terminals. LOL

So yeah I say I agree they are better aesthetically.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 18, 06:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS
Re: Side Post Battery

My 10E of 69 built has always been a side post in my ownership but both cables are the same bolt size. I got it in 1984 so probably had the negative switched out with a battery change. I don't recall having two different sizes of bolts back in the day but maybe most were gone by late 70's when I was a full time mechanic.

Jeff

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 18, 07:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

My 05A Z had side post, so it sounds like your refrance is correct.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode