One wire to the starter - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vega

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 18, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ozzie

One wire to the starter

Hoping to get some validation or confirmation on my one-wire starter hookup.

Back in 2005, when installing a crate engine, I also made several upgrades in the engine compartment, specifically the electrical wiring. I did several of Mark's MAD Electrical upgrades (headlight relays, single wire alternator, main dash power upgrade) including the "Start Em Up" remote solenoid wiring method.

All this has been working flawlessly for 13 years. About 3 weeks ago, I went to start the car and all that happened was a hard clicking noise from the remote solenoid. I swapped out the solenoid thinking it was somehow "weak," but the replacement did the same. I verified 12v was passing thru the solenoid during start and going down to the big lug on the starter. I figured I had a bad starter and got it swapped out under warranty (the parts house I got it from said they don't test starters, so i had to declare it bad so they would give me a new one) Came back home, bolted it in, connected the one wire, and same result - nothing spins.

Now, in Mark's wiring plan, all that goes to the starter is a large gauge wire that is only hot during cranking. No connections to either of the small lugs. Been working this way for over a decade.
After doing a bit of research and looking at a lot of wiring diagrams, it was becoming clear that most (similar) wiring setups use a jumper between the big lug and the one closest to the block.

Since I had nothing to lose, and nothing seemed to be working anyway, I fashioned a jumper and connected it as described...and the starter spun and the car started.

And before anyone asks, " Are you sure you haven't been using the (necessary) jumper and it just fell off?" No, definitely no jumpers used. In fact, 3 years ago I cracked the starter housing and had to replace the starter. I was also going thru a "back issue" - pinched nerve in my L5 spinal lumbar and could barely walk upright, let alone crawl under the car to do the swap. I had to have my 17yr old son do the swap for me. He was told to get under there, put the 2 bolts in to mount it, and connect the big battery-sized wire to the center lug - no more than that.
In fact, it was actually a bit tricky (for me) to add the jumper this past weekend - so there is no way he was going to be able to do it without a bunch of instruction, explaining, hair pulling, etc.

Anyway, back to my question: How has the one-wire hookup been working all these years, and then stop working 3wks ago?
I'd love to hear from others who are familiar with the MAD Electrical wiring schemes and can confirm the one-wire starter hookup is valid.

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter Wiring Diagram.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	220153  

'68 Camaro RS... zz383 in 2005 and still runnin' strong!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 18, 03:38 AM
John

Garage
Re: One wire to the starter

Sounds like a bad battery more than a wiring/starter issue
Everett#2390 likes this.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 18, 05:06 AM
Senior Tech
Jon

That type of starter wiring worked fine on 429 and 460 Fords when they used it on their version of a Delco style starter/solenoid set up.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 18, 07:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

I have had that set up on my wrecker since the 80's

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 18, 07:47 AM
Senior Tech
Al

It couldn't have worked without a jumper. The "S" terminal needs 12V to move the pinion into the flywheel. In the process, that action also closes the connection between the + batt cable and the starter motor.

If you look at the picture of Mark's Start Em Up kit kit, you will see the jumper in the upper right corner (small metal brace looking thing) The big hole goes over the batt cable stud and the small hole goes over the "S" terminal stud. It probably stayed with the old solenoid when you replaced it.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 18, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ozzie

BPOS: Thanks for the reply with explanation. In the back of my mind I knew your answer had to be correct - it is a solenoid after all.

Still a bit baffling tho. When I dropped the starter to take it back to the store, there was no jumper or shunt piece anywhere. But maybe it was there and just fell off due to loose screws. Because if you refer back to my story, my son was the last one under there installing it.

At least I know some kind of electrical "magic" wasn't happening all these years!

'68 Camaro RS... zz383 in 2005 and still runnin' strong!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 18, 04:32 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage

I'm with BPOS on this. .Have the same setup on mine as headers used to cook the solenoid. Got to have that 12v to the S terminal on the solenoid otherwise it will never throw out the gear to connect to flywheel.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 18, 12:55 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastercar68 View Post
BPOS: Thanks for the reply with explanation. In the back of my mind I knew your answer had to be correct - it is a solenoid after all.

Still a bit baffling tho. When I dropped the starter to take it back to the store, there was no jumper or shunt piece anywhere. But maybe it was there and just fell off due to loose screws. Because if you refer back to my story, my son was the last one under there installing it.

At least I know some kind of electrical "magic" wasn't happening all these years!

Here is an external jumper to connect the battery terminal to the solenoid terminal:

I do wonder if there was never one externally, could it have been a special solenoid or maybe they created the connection inside the plastic housing for some reason to where one would nit easily see the connection betwen the solenoid and the battery feed stud ?

This is the inside of the solenoid end housing on my 68 and while it looks tight in there "maybe" some one had a jumper in there instead of externally OR possibly inside the cap they moved the wire off of the back of the solenoid stud inside the cap and then put on a larger ring terminal to put it under the larger stud that goes to the battery cable ?.

Without have the old starter in hand to take apart, one can only guess what went on.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode