No electrical power - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 18, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ben

No electrical power

So I went out to the car last week and tried to crank it but had no power at all. I thought well maybe the battery is bad so today I went out and I checked it. It was a little low but not bad (optima red top). I put it on a charge on a agm charger for an hour. Well now Iím sure itís not the battery since it has juice and the dome light wonít even come on. I checked my fuses and all looked fine. The cables look really good and the connections are great. What else could it be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 18, 07:55 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: No electrical power

Did you check the main splice and the junction block in front of the battery? Check the positive battery connection for crud and possible disconnection?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 18, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ben

I checked at the starter it had power and the alternator had power. Fuse box and horn relay had no power Iím going to go and look to find that junction block.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 18, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ben

Ok no power at junction block does this mean the block is bad or is there a fuse?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 18, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ben

My bad it does have power but barely lights the test light. I donít have the same block that you guys do I have a aftermarket block that has my stereo ran from it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 18, 05:09 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Ben - The Junction block has no fuses but is fed by a feed wires off the positive battery cable.
Do some tightening and cleaning.
Check the feed wire and the fusible links in the area for damage, disconnects and other issues such as evidence of Mice harvesting the insulation off the wires. They LOVE the taste of the insulation.

Brian

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 18, 11:30 AM
Senior Tech
Robert

Garage

Clean the battery terminals and check grounds. You should have almost the exact same reading at the junction block that you have at the positive battery terminal. I serioulsly doubt the junction block would go bad, but the connections definitely could be.

AKXtreme
69 Camaro L48 SS350
M20 4spd
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 18, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ben

Thanks for yíall help. Yep cleaned the cables took them apart and got some surface crust off the cable clamps. I went through and tightened up the cables at the starter and the alternator. I guess itís good it happened in the driveway. I know itís a rookie mistake but on the outside the clamps still looked new but underneath they were bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in