67 RS Headlight Problem - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By bjt67
  • 1 Post By bjt67

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 18, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

67 RS Headlight Problem

Wondering if any one else has run into this problem. My rs headlights have opened and closed the way they should in the past. My problem now is that the doors only open about three inches and stop. They will close with no problem. I noticed that both the signal lamp indicators on the dash cluster and the high beam indicator come on and stay on as soon as the headlight switch is operated.
I have followed the trouble shooting procedure checking for battery and grounds, relay operation, 10 amp breaker, and doors moving freely. I am thinking I may have a bad headlight switch causing the problem??
The headlights do come on and the dimmer switch does work properly.
The relays, breaker, limit switches, motors, diode circuit, and front wiring harness were all replaced new several years ago.

Any ideas what to check next? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 18, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

Re: 67 RS Headlight Problem

Well I finally got my problems sorted out. It turns out that I had two separate problems going on at the same time. I found out that the reason my signal light indicators and high beam light came on as soon as the headlight switch was operated was the poor ground at that center screw on the top of the dash cluster. I ran a new ground wire to the metal part of the dash carrier and that corrected that problem.
The problem with the headlight doors only opening half way then stopping was not the headlight switch like I was thinking. It turned out to be burnt contacts on relay number three. The contact would conduct at first till it got hot arcing, then quit. That drove me crazy because it worked when testing with a test meter till it got hot. I would have had to have my meter on those contacts at the moment it got hot and quit.
Well the old saying " All's well that ends well" I learned a lot. I hope this helps someone else in the future.
P.S. I somehow got logged out on this site and it took me two hours to figure out how to get logged back in. What's with those crazy long, weird symbols you get for a new password?? That's tough on an old guy like me to figure out !!
69-Pace likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 18, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

I forgot to mention that the reason the contacts were burnt on relay three was that the headlight door was making poor contact on and off with the limit switch on the rad support causing the contacts to make/break repeatedly.
69-Pace likes this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 18, 07:39 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Glad you were able to isolate and rectify the issues.

Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode