No bright headlights 68 - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 18, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Probationer
Jesse

No bright headlights 68

I tried doing some searching but may need a little assistance! I just purchased a 1968 camaro and am trying to get the small issues fixed. The low beam headlights work fine but i have no brights. I figured I would start by picking up a new dimmer switch (can't hurt to have a spare if it doesn't work). I put the new dimmer switch in and still have the same results. The connector looked fairly new at the switch so I'm guessing the previous owner tried this already. I would think that this means the headlight switch is working properly because it sends power to the dimmer and the dimmer switches power from one side to the other. Besides checking headlights, is there any specific location I should be looking for a wire break or ground issue or anything like that? When I switch from low beam to high beam I would imagine somewhere on the dash there is an indicator for high beams but I have yet to see it come on also. I may have to break the multimeter out for this one. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 18, 09:37 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Re: No bright headlights 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeals99 View Post
I tried doing some searching but may need a little assistance! I just purchased a 1968 camaro and am trying to get the small issues fixed. The low beam headlights work fine but i have no brights. I figured I would start by picking up a new dimmer switch (can't hurt to have a spare if it doesn't work). I put the new dimmer switch in and still have the same results. The connector looked fairly new at the switch so I'm guessing the previous owner tried this already. I would think that this means the headlight switch is working properly because it sends power to the dimmer and the dimmer switches power from one side to the other. Besides checking headlights, is there any specific location I should be looking for a wire break or ground issue or anything like that? When I switch from low beam to high beam I would imagine somewhere on the dash there is an indicator for high beams but I have yet to see it come on also. I may have to break the multimeter out for this one. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Yep, break out the meter for testing where you have power and where you do not.

Basically you have 12V coming out of the headlight switch when it is turned on and then this power travels down to one of the three wires on the floor dimmer switch. The dimmer switch then decides which of the other two wires will have power sent out of them.

One of the three wires at the dimmer switch goes to the headlight switch, the second of the three goes to the low beam filament of both headlights, and the third of the three wires at the dimmer switch goes to the indash high beam indicator light and also to the hign beam filaments of both of the headlights.

If you are getting low beams but no high beams, then see if you have power on the wire out of the floor dimmer switch that goes to the indash high beam indicator light as well as the high beam filaments on both front headlights.

It's possible that the indash light or circuit has an issue as well as both high beams burnt out but this is a slim chance.

When you check for power out of the dimmer switch, try touching the tab out of the switch that the plug connects to as well as the connector in the plug and maybe poke into the wire itself. You could have power out of the switch but then not making connection to the mating terminal in the plug and/or connection from the connector to the wire due to corrosion.

While it's a slim chance also, check for power into the switch when activating the dimmer switch between high and low beam and back as maybe due to the added current/amperage required by the high beams, an issue is with lack of enough power getting to the dimmer switch only when trying to get the high beams on.

This diagram is for a 68 Chevy II Nova but should be basically the same for a Camaro:

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 18, 10:30 AM
Team Member
John

I had the same problem on my 69 Camaro. One of my headlights was bad, replaced both headlights problem solved.

1969 Camaro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 19, 08:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Phil

Just curious, was it the drivers side headlight that was bad? Also, I assume the "Bright" indicator came on when you went to high, but no headlights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode