What plug is this??? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 18, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Frank

What plug is this???

I think it might be the fuel sending harness to the gauge.. started removing my gauge cluster to do the Dakota digital install and nothing was hooked up to the fuel gauge. '68 Camaro

20180908_181230 by F G, on Flickr

'68 Camaro 454, 4sp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 18, 07:38 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: What plug is this???

The green wires should one light green and one darker green. This is your reverse aka "back-up" light circuit harness.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 18, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
The green wires should one light green and one darker green. This is your reverse aka "back-up" light circuit harness.

YOu da man.. Thank you. NOw, What wires should I be looking for for the fuel gauge?

'68 Camaro 454, 4sp

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 18, 07:46 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

If original the printer circuit on the back of the pod has one rectangle plug a couple inches long with connections on both sides.

Can't find an exact at the moment but it looks like this...

I think there are pictures on the electrical section sticky on how to fix you dash lights for 67-68

Brian

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 18, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Frank

Quote:
If original the printer circuit on the back of the pod has one rectangle plug a couple inches long with connections on both sides.

Can't find an exact at the moment but it looks like this...

I think there are pictures on the electrical section sticky on how to fix you dash lights for 67-68

Brian
Ok, So that's the harness that plugs in to the circuit board of the gauge cluster. That was there. Not sure what to do with it now that i'm replacing everything with the Dakota Digital system. Maybe if I read more in to Dakota's instructions it might teach me what i'm asking.. Just easier asking you while I sit here drinking my coffee and watching it rain

'68 Camaro 454, 4sp
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 18, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Frank

Oh how I hate wiring .. I found a cigar, still in the wrapper, caught up in the wiring when I removed the cluster.. LOL

20180908_171833 by F G, on Flickr

'68 Camaro 454, 4sp
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 18, 07:53 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Exclamation Re: What plug is this???

The connector should have the Tan signal wire from the sender in the tank in the positions noted. One is for vehicles without gauges, and the other for ones with just warning lights. Its the same position on both but never know who is going to search the thread in the future so covering both with factory gauges and tachometer and the basic warning light option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	idiot light connector diagram.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	221305   Click image for larger version

Name:	cluster connector with gauges.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	221307  
Just 1 More likes this.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 18, 08:01 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Exclamation Re: What plug is this???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
Ok, So that's the harness that plugs in to the circuit board of the gauge cluster. That was there. Not sure what to do with it now that i'm replacing everything with the Dakota Digital system. Maybe if I read more in to Dakota's instructions it might teach me what i'm asking.. Just easier asking you while I sit here drinking my coffee and watching it rain
Quote:
Oh how I hate wiring .. I found a cigar, still in the wrapper, caught up in the wiring when I removed the cluster.. LOL

20180908_171833 by F G, on Flickr
Not sure I'd smoke the cigar but it would end up in my restoration scrapbook more than likely.

So if you are NOT replacing the entire harness with a new engine/body harness, then the safest thing is to either remove the actual wires and pins from the existing connector and then feed them int new female connectors connected to new wiring to your gauges. Keep the old plug and if down the road you or the next caretaker wish to restore factory its plug and play. You can also just cut it off and then extend the wires to your new gauges.

If you are replacing all the wiring, American Auto Wire - AAW can customize your dash harness with connection already made or prepared for your gauges.

I tend to lean toward non destructive change if you are leaving the original dash harness intact, so I'd be taking the time to uncouple and extend myself. Any hardware, big-box auto parts or home improvement center will have the correct sized female crimp connectors. Do as you wish.

Brian

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 18, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Frank

Quote:
Not sure I'd smoke the cigar but it would end up in my restoration scrapbook more than likely.

So if you are NOT replacing the entire harness with a new engine/body harness, then the safest thing is to either remove the actual wires and pins from the existing connector and then feed them int new female connectors connected to new wiring to your gauges. Keep the old plug and if down the road you or the next caretaker wish to restore factory its plug and play. You can also just cut it off and then extend the wires to your new gauges.

If you are replacing all the wiring, American Auto Wire - AAW can customize your dash harness with connection already made or prepared for your gauges.

I tend to lean toward non destructive change if you are leaving the original dash harness intact, so I'd be taking the time to uncouple and extend myself. Any hardware, big-box auto parts or home improvement center will have the correct sized female crimp connectors. Do as you wish.

Brian
I get ya with the preservation of the original ,,, but,, this thing has already been cut up and sliced many times over.. Not much hope of saving much of anything unfortunately.

'68 Camaro 454, 4sp
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 18, 08:12 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Yeah it happens a lot. If you are cutting you could leave enough that it could be reconnected down the road.

Brian

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 18, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Frank

Quote:
The connector should have the Tan signal wire from the sender in the tank in the positions noted. One is for vehicles without gauges, and the other for ones with just warning lights. Its the same position on both but never know who is going to search the thread in the future so covering both with factory gauges and tachometer and the basic warning light option.
Neither of these match what I have. My plug has:
1 Orange
2 Green (double wire)
3 Tan
4 nothing
5 nothing
6 nothing

then on the flip side

7 red
8 blue
9 light blue
10 orange
11 brown
12 blue

20180910_165655 by F G, on Flickr

20180910_165710 by F G, on Flickr

'68 Camaro 454, 4sp
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 18, 02:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

There are 2 tans, one is fuel gauge, other is parking brake. Which DD did you get? I love mine, have had VHX and now HDX series.

For figuring out which one is the fuel, take a voltmeter and set it to ohms. Think you have to have your ignition on. full is 90, empty tank is 0. You could also actuate your parking brake and see if one if the two gets power.

Hope this helps, if you need anymore help post the questions up. I have done it a couple of times and know this stuff pretty good.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 18, 04:30 PM
John

Garage

The tan parking brake wire is a ground so you won't get a 12v power reading
130fe likes this.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 18, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
The tan parking brake wire is a ground so you won't get a 12v power reading
Pretty sure I wouldn't get anything regardless since almost everything has been cut, spliced, butchered or disconnected
130fe likes this.

'68 Camaro 454, 4sp
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 18, 03:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Thumbs up Re: What plug is this???

Quote:
Pretty sure I wouldn't get anything regardless since almost everything has been cut, spliced, butchered or disconnected
If things are that bad, you might want to consider a rewire at some point. I love the DD stuff! Looking at your panel pics, are you using the turn signals? They are the light and dark blue wires in the dash plug. Chasing electrical gremlins are aggravating LOL I have had my car for 25 years and lived with many minor (but at times aggravating) electrical things. Like having an intermittent horn. I rewired the car back in 2013 with an AAW Classic update kit and let me tell you, having everything working correctly is a good thing.
Just 1 More likes this.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode