69 Camaro Center Fuel gauge not accurate - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 18, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Travis

69 Camaro Center Fuel gauge not accurate

Thought I would get this out here on the forum for others who may run into this.
During my restoration I replaced the fuel gauge with a tack and installed a new center fuel gauge. When I got the car wired and on the road I noticed the fuel gauge read way over full when full and stayed there for a long period of time. Once it started to drop it dropped fast and when it read 1/8 tank I could only put approx 12 gal in.
The sender worked fine (0-93 ohm sweep) and the gauge would read E when the sending unit was was grounded as it should.
There are a number of sites that show how to wire, test, troubleshoot the gauge but nothing quite matched my symptoms.
In
something got my attention and the light went on......Newer/replacement gauges are internally resisted where as the factory gauges required the resistor/shunt between the 12V pos terminal and the sending unit terminal. I had installed the resistor/shunt from my factory gauge onto the new OER (or Classic Headquarters) replacement gauge which is wrong - its not needed since the new gauge is internally resisted.
Rather than remove the dash and cluster I simply reached up from the bottom and ran a razor knife across the back of this wire wound resistor/shunt effectively opening the circuit. Once this was done the gauge immediately went to Full vs. way over full which was expected since I had just filled up. Everything works as expected now.

For the electrical nerds....90 ohms of resistance from the sending unit (full tank) + the 84ohm resistor/shunt = 174 ohms resulting in the needle going way past full.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode